May 26 2019 16:32:53
Navigation
Main
Home
About us
Contact us
Contact Status
Buying a new bass FAQ
Status Bass Price List
The UL42 Web
User Activity Log
Guests Online: 98

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 2,344
Newest Member: Fabrice MAYEUR
Last Seen Users
senmen 02:37:37
ejnarDK 15:06:36
luckylips 21:10:15
Blinddog 21:55:31
Geoffroy 22:56:01
Bassandtuba 1 day Offline
Jeroen 1 day Offline
hacchan 2 days Offline
robedwar 2 days Offline
Afc70 2 days Offline

  More Users 
Status News:
View Thread
 Print Thread
Help with deciding top wood for an S-2
cecoulter
Dear all,
I have decided to order an bolt-on S2 5 string.
I need help deciding which top wood to go with.
The back wood will be 2-piece mahogany (no center tone block). The hardware will be black.
Somehow I donít like the look of basses where the top wood is a different color than the body wood. I donít know why but I much prefer when the entire instrument has the same color.... But I also prefer satin wood over anything else....
I do acknowledge that some of the top woods Status uses are stunning.
Can somebody help me decide which top top wood would match the color of the mahogany body?
I do want mahogany body because my Status Smart bass is solid mahogany and I love everything about that bass.
Rob replied that building another Smart bass or an Eclipse bass is not an option. That machines are not set up to do it any more.

Is a flamed or figured mahogany top an option?
Has anybody done a figured top that closely matches the color/tint of mahogany?

Many thanks in advance!
-Chris
-Chris
2000 Status Eclipse Custom 5-String
2009 Status Smart Bass 5-String Fretless
1993 Yamaha TRB 5
1930's German Upright Bass
2012 NS Design CR4T Electric Upright Bass
 
bassbus
I'm wondering what is stopping you going for a solid mahogany body if that is what you like. Mr. Green and Co. have made solid ash S2s in the past so why not solid mahogany.
 
me4bass
The bass on the right is solid Mahogany, the bass on the left has a mahogany body, and a calico mahogany top, about 8mm thick.


https://volneyhen...-q5MSPP2/A
Edited by me4bass on 22-04-2019 23:44
 
cecoulter
bassbus wrote:
I'm wondering what is stopping you going for a solid mahogany body if that is what you like. Mr. Green and Co. have made solid ash S2s in the past so why not solid mahogany.



Yes, I am thinking that over. I do like the exotic wood tops, but just not when there is a change of color....
Thanks!
-Chris
2000 Status Eclipse Custom 5-String
2009 Status Smart Bass 5-String Fretless
1993 Yamaha TRB 5
1930's German Upright Bass
2012 NS Design CR4T Electric Upright Bass
 
cecoulter
me4bass wrote:
The bass on the right is solid Mahogany, the bass on the left has a mahogany body, and a calico mahogany top, about 8mm thick.


https://volneyhen...-q5MSPP2/A


Thanks so much for the pictures. The calico mahogany looks great.... now you showed me another option.... red color tint on the satin finish.... that looks great as well!

-Chris
-Chris
2000 Status Eclipse Custom 5-String
2009 Status Smart Bass 5-String Fretless
1993 Yamaha TRB 5
1930's German Upright Bass
2012 NS Design CR4T Electric Upright Bass
 
Garbo28
I had a dark walnut facing wood in a satin finish for my KB. I wanted a dark wood that provided a little contrast with the mahogany back wood. Saying that, I have seen some rosewood tops that looked great as well. I almost had Rosewood, however it was a cost I had not allowed for the my budget. In the end I told Dawn what I was looking for and she picked from their stock of Walnut and made a great choice.
 
moo
cecoulter wrote:
Dear all,
I have decided to order an bolt-on S2 5 string.
I need help deciding which top wood to go with.
The back wood will be 2-piece mahogany (no center tone block). The hardware will be black.
Somehow I donít like the look of basses where the top wood is a different color than the body wood. I donít know why but I much prefer when the entire instrument has the same color.... But I also prefer satin wood over anything else....
I do acknowledge that some of the top woods Status uses are stunning.
Can somebody help me decide which top top wood would match the color of the mahogany body?
I do want mahogany body because my Status Smart bass is solid mahogany and I love everything about that bass.
Rob replied that building another Smart bass or an Eclipse bass is not an option. That machines are not set up to do it any more.

Is a flamed or figured mahogany top an option?
Has anybody done a figured top that closely matches the color/tint of mahogany?

Many thanks in advance!
-Chris


Just ping Rob and ask him to match the colour of the body. Maybe have a slightly different wood but roughly the same colour!

Rob is the man to talk to about this!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein
 
http://web.me.com/themoo/moo_basses/Introduction.h
cecoulter
Yes, you are right. That will be the best thing to do.
I just donít like any of the s-2 basses that are up on the website. That is why I had hesitated to email him about it....
Thanks!



moo wrote:
cecoulter wrote:
Dear all,
I have decided to order an bolt-on S2 5 string.
I need help deciding which top wood to go with.
The back wood will be 2-piece mahogany (no center tone block). The hardware will be black.
Somehow I donít like the look of basses where the top wood is a different color than the body wood. I donít know why but I much prefer when the entire instrument has the same color.... But I also prefer satin wood over anything else....
I do acknowledge that some of the top woods Status uses are stunning.
Can somebody help me decide which top top wood would match the color of the mahogany body?
I do want mahogany body because my Status Smart bass is solid mahogany and I love everything about that bass.
Rob replied that building another Smart bass or an Eclipse bass is not an option. That machines are not set up to do it any more.

Is a flamed or figured mahogany top an option?
Has anybody done a figured top that closely matches the color/tint of mahogany?

Many thanks in advance!
-Chris


Just ping Rob and ask him to match the colour of the body. Maybe have a slightly different wood but roughly the same colour!

Rob is the man to talk to about this!

-Chris
2000 Status Eclipse Custom 5-String
2009 Status Smart Bass 5-String Fretless
1993 Yamaha TRB 5
1930's German Upright Bass
2012 NS Design CR4T Electric Upright Bass
 
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password



Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
The 2009 Statii CD
Copyright © The Statii Team 2006-2019 and Andrť Simha. All rights reserved