What should I do?

Last updated on 8 years ago
aartsaarts
Posted 8 years ago
The be honest, I'm not completely satisfied with the color of my SII bass. It has a Bubinga top with a high gloss finish.

I'm considering to sand it down completely and give it a matt finish It now looks like the picture below:

home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Status_SII/S2-1.jpg

Hoping to make it like the one below:
i51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/johngh/st61.jpg

What do you guy think of this? Are there risks (btw: it will be carried out by a professional luthier)

I've seen nice pics of matt bubinga and matt carbon.

I appriciate all of your opinions
- Status Graphite S2 Matrix 5-string #104,
- Yamaha TRB5
- MarkBass CMD102P
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago
Unless you ABSOLUTELY know what you're doing, do not attempt that on your own.

You will ruin a beautiful bass. Personally I think it looks 1,000 times better full gloss but that's a personal opinion and has little relevance.

It's a stunning old bass. You're going to struggle swapping it because you're limiting your options. I would suggest just selling it and finding something new that suits you!
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago
I agree with MOO, get a professional or send it back to Status, or as advised...sell it and get a matt one!
The gloss will go right round or is the idea to do sides and back too?
Too risky IMHO.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator