Basses WANTED

Status basses WANTED go here
2971 posts | Last Activity on 20-02-2006 22:50 by status
status
status 20-02-2006 22:50, 18 years ago
Re: URGENTLY WANTED: Status Buzzard I

Rob Green wrote:
Hello chaps,

Most of the details in the Buzzard-1 thread are correct and there are some interesting ideas I may look at... It may take some time but watch this space.

Best regards, Rob Green.

Sounds very interesting, can't wait!
Rob Green
Rob Green 20-02-2006 21:33, 18 years ago
Hello chaps,

Most of the details in the Buzzard-1 thread are correct and there are some interesting ideas I may look at... It may take some time but watch this space.

Best regards, Rob Green.
status
status 18-02-2006 10:02, 18 years ago
Trev, if you get one I'll be round like a shot to try it out. Wink
andre
andre 18-02-2006 09:30, 18 years ago
Hmmm I ain't got one of those Angry
G-77
G-77 18-02-2006 09:12, 18 years ago
Thats not a bad price, need to start saving...Grin
Z
zn_bassman 18-02-2006 06:09, 18 years ago
Here's Rob Green's answer to my B-2 price query from last week. These numbers don't include shipping, taxes, import duty or other associated fees.

--------------------
The B2 costs 1495 Pounds Sterling which is about $2690. (Including a flight case). Side LED's will cost 350 Pounds Sterling = $630.

Delivery is currently about 8 - 10 weeks.
We need a 50% deposit with the order and the balance prior to shipping.
G-77
G-77 17-02-2006 06:05, 18 years ago
so how much is a B2 then?

(opps i got GAS Shock)
status
status 17-02-2006 05:58, 18 years ago
I think I could get used to having someone lugging my gear around. In my band I have to organise my gear and the lights. The lighting rig is growing so more and more gear for me to lug around!Sad Looks smart when it is all up and running though! Grin
B
boris_spyder 17-02-2006 05:18, 18 years ago
The bolt-on has to fit into the pocket for the neck, therefore it can't get fatter. Why it is that way on the B1, I dunno.
JAE used the B2 for jam sessions, informal get-togethers, trips down to the pub to sit in with others...it is transportable in a gig bag you can throw over your shoulder. The B1 with the huge road case and massive wing, is difficult to use on a small stage, and John had no intention of carrying those road cases anywhere without the crew to do it for him. Remember, he hadn't had to lug equipment around himself since the mid-sixties!
Z
zn_bassman 17-02-2006 02:37, 18 years ago
Any idea why? Maybe to strengthen the meeting point between the neck and body sections of the 1-piece graphite construction, as opposed to the bolt-on neck on the B-2?
B
boris_spyder 16-02-2006 02:08, 18 years ago
While they are of the same scale and VERY similar, if you play the 1 & 2 back to back you notice that while the B2 neck remains the same thickness front to back over it's entire length, the B1 gets thicker as it passes the 12 th fret and merges with the body..I actually like the feel of the 2 better, but maybe that's because the B2 is my daily instrument and the B1 comes out of it's case only once or twice a month.
Z
zn_bassman 15-02-2006 22:07, 18 years ago
The Buzzard-1 was indeed a one-piece graphite instrument. Apparently, the first 3 prototypes caved in before Rob found the production methods necessary to make it stable. I think he transferred the technology and know-how into the newest KingBass model.

Rob made the B-2 as a birthday present to John, who had a second one made later. The alder body has that bulge at the top, which serves as a miniature armrest. John used armrest bodies from the mid-70s until he died (Gibson Explorer, custom Alembic "Spyders" and Warwick and Status Buzzards), largely to make it easier to do his "typewriter" tapping style.

The B2 has exactly the same neck (designed according to John's needs for 26 frets and maximum response) and electronics as the B1. From what I understand, it sounds a bit woodier (naturally) and hangs a bit differently. Other than that, there's apparently no difference.

There's a brief clip of John rehearsing with a B2 in the eulogy section on the John Entwistle Band live DVD. He never used it onstage or when recording, as he had several B1 models which he loved like no others.
M
MrWalker 15-02-2006 17:38, 18 years ago

status wrote:
I'm sure theremust be a design that could be used that would hint at the original without infringing copyright issues.

A part from the "Fender" horns on the one above, I'd say it's pretty much like the JE model anyway? I think it's close enough... I did get the point, and I'm not even a Entwistle fan. Smile

Maybe they should be braver about the horns, too... and wasn't the Buzzard a complete graphite bass? This has an alder body.

Yeah, I know the story about Warwick and the copyright trouble towards Spector. Dirty business. If you make an agreement, you should respect it.

Oh well... I guess there's not really much point in complaining. history is history, and no matter what happens, the Buzzard Is will become collector's items. Good for their owners, of course, but a shame for the enthusiasts.
D
Doctor_Bass 15-02-2006 13:14, 18 years ago
Warwick originally agreed to pay Stuart Spector a license fee - they allegedly did so for a period of two years; they then stopped after having made
modifications' to the design of the Streamer basses (yeah right!!)! I agree Status should perhaps introduce a new bass aimed at the 
rockier' end of the market, call it a `JE' model as a non-specific tribute instrument! JE could be anyone, for example, Johnny English!

I've got a US Spector NS-2 in my collection and its a superb instrument - Warwicks have come been and gone - never owned one for more than 8 months!

Nick
status
status 15-02-2006 11:09, 18 years ago
I'm sure theremust be a design that could be used that would hint at the original without infringing copyright issues.
M
MrWalker 15-02-2006 10:10, 18 years ago
doh.... They already did, obviously.... *smack*

www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/image/basses/buzz22.jpg
M
MrWalker 15-02-2006 10:05, 18 years ago
It's a little funny when you consider that one of Warwack's (pun intended) most successful basses was actually a rip off of Ned Steinberger and Stuart Spector's design... Wink

Seems they learnt enough from that experience to guard their own backside when conducting business.

Status should make another "rock'n'roll" bass, and make it different enough for Warwick to be unable to sue them. That would provide fans with the "real" rock'n'roll bass (although they wouldn't be able to use the Buzzard or JE name), but still...

People who care would know which bass it was... Wink
D
Doctor_Bass 15-02-2006 09:47, 18 years ago
hehe!

Thats the most playable `Varvick' I've seen in a long time!

Sadly, the situation concerning the Status Buzzard is true - they (Rob and Dawn and the lads) are not even allowed to talk about them - its as though they never existed! I played one at a show once and tonally, it was one of the best basses I've heard. I think its crazy but thats the world we occupy.

Nick (hi Rich!)
M
MrWalker 15-02-2006 09:31, 18 years ago
Re: WANTED: Status Shark
Well... I cannot help you regarding a Shark 4. However, if I decide to get the Shark 5 here locally, and if I don't like it, I'll let you buy it. Grin

This bass definately grows on me. From a "uh... maybe not" to "hmmm... that wouldn't be a bad bass, would it" to "yeah... hell... why not?!" in less than 4 days. Grin
Responded in WANTED: Status Shark
Rich
Rich 15-02-2006 00:03, 18 years ago
What?? That's crackers. The Status was by far the better bass, John himself said so.
IMHO, the only good Warwick Buzzard is this one...
img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/jazza42uk/onecarefulowner.jpg
panelstate
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator

Filter by Tags

Popular Threads This Week