Technical Area

For everything Status and technical
4256 posts | Last Activity on 13-05-2018 22:38 by Danny
Danny
Danny 13-05-2018 22:38, 6 years ago
Re: Tonal variation on Status designs
I got to chirp in. Unless you are putting sound waves through an ocilloscope I doubt you'll be able to tell.
The bolt on are equally as good in every aspect with the addition of any issues means the neck can be removed.
I have a thru neck S2 and have never really been bothered by the extra millisecond of sustain or clarity. If you want a warmer tone, leave the strings on for longer Grin
M
MrWalker 11-05-2018 00:45, 6 years ago
Thank you for your answer! :-)

So, neck-through a little more sparkly and clear than bolt-on, and in the same manner, I would assume that a Stealth would be every more so, then? Is that a valid assumption? :-)
B
bassbus 10-05-2018 22:50, 6 years ago
It has been noted in the past that neck through Status basses have quite a sparkly, clear tone. The bolt-ons have a slightly warmer tone. The two basses I have ordered from the factory have been bolt-on as I like a darker tone.

The difference in sustain between neck-through and bolt-on is negligible. Mr. Green has commented on this in interviews. Custom made bolt-ons tend to have very tight neck-to-pocket joints. I remember at Overwater there was a bolt on bass hanging from the wall by the neck. It had no screws holding the neck in but the body was not moving from the neck.

Graphite necks will have dead spots in the same way wooden necks have.
M
MrWalker 10-05-2018 19:54, 6 years ago
Hi guys!
I'm toying with the thought of getting a Status 6-string bass.

I was just wondering if you have any specific thoughts about tonal difference between neck through and bolt on necks on Status basses? I know that there are certain beliefs regarding this issue when it comes to basses made of wood, with better sustain on the NT side and punchier and snappier for the BO side.

But when the neck material is composite, are the same tonal differences as clear as on a wooden bass? That being said, I'm not sure I agree totally on the strength of these differences in the first place Grin

I was also wondering how big difference there is in tone from a totally 100% composite bass (the Stealth, for example) vs a combination of wood and composite, as on the Series 2 and 3.

Thanks for your input!!
moo
moo 11-04-2018 08:04, 6 years ago
Re: Shipping in a Status case
I had a bass arrive recently from Germany. No case. Tons of bubble wrap and a box.

Arrived in perfect shape!

Phew!
L
LucienLaTulipe 09-04-2018 02:06, 6 years ago
Thanks for the advices, the bass arrived in impeccable conditions. Don't know if they tried the 500kg crush thing though. Pictures in the dedicated thread for those interested.
R
randaj38 07-04-2018 04:52, 6 years ago
Re: Status Artist Eclipse LTD Edition 50/100 noisy pickups
Hi all,

I've got a '96 Status Eclipse neck through LTD Edition 50/100 with twin chrome covered pickup's that was giving me some problems. Sometimes when I would touch one pickup it would start to buzz in a similar fashion to an earthing problem. What was interesting about the problem was that sometimes it was the front pick-up and sometimes the back and sometimes neither. After pulling everything apart and checking the wiring, replacing batteries and even temporarily connecting an earth wire from the pickup cover to the ground I finally decided to order a new circuit board. My rationale was that it would be highly unlikely for there to be a problem with both pickups.

A week later (living in the USA)....MY circuit board arrived and I installed it Viola no more buzz. Not sure what the exact problem was but it is now solved www.jonrandall.com

Would love to hear from other Eclipse owners
R
randaj38 07-04-2018 04:52, 6 years ago
Re: Status Artist Eclipse LTD Edition 50/100 noisy pickups
Hi all,

I've got a '96 Status Eclipse neck through LTD Edition 50/100 with twin chrome covered pickup's that was giving me some problems. Sometimes when I would touch one pickup it would start to buzz in a similar fashion to an earthing problem. What was interesting about the problem was that sometimes it was the front pick-up and sometimes the back and sometimes neither. After pulling everything apart and checking the wiring, replacing batteries and even temporarily connecting an earth wire from the pickup cover to the ground I finally decided to order a new circuit board. My rationale was that it would be highly unlikely for there to be a problem with both pickups.

A week later (living in the USA)....MY circuit board arrived and I installed it Viola no more buzz. Not sure what the exact problem was but it is now solved www.jonrandall.com

Would love to hear from other Eclipse owners
A
Alec 05-04-2018 07:29, 6 years ago
Re: Status Distorting

Danny wrote:
Does sound like a battery/connection issue, my S2 distorts like mad when the batteries are running low.

Yup, it's caught me out a couple of times with my Empathy too. Once, I was convinced it was a problem with the tweeter in my combo - it sounded like a physical issue with the driver. Took the whole thing to bits, all to no avail. I forget what prompted me to try changing the battery, possibly using another amp and the problem was still there. New battery, no problem!
Responded in Status Distorting
Jeroen
Jeroen 28-03-2018 19:35, 6 years ago
Here's an old Hiscox ad, for further reassurance Wink

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/../../images/I/61dUmxSxfEL._SL1000_.jpg
L
LucienLaTulipe 28-03-2018 18:37, 6 years ago
Thanks!
Jeroen
Jeroen 28-03-2018 18:32, 6 years ago
It was around the case, the bass was fine and unable to move.
L
LucienLaTulipe 28-03-2018 18:22, 6 years ago
Thanks guys, sounds good Grin

Jeroen you mentioned the bubblewrap, was it around the case or the bass to prevent its movement inside? Is this mummy thing needed with a Hiscox?
moo
moo 28-03-2018 14:36, 6 years ago
Yes, Hiscox cases are very good. I've travelled all over the world (well, I once went to Margate) and never had a problem. As long as the bass can't fall out, it will be absolutely fine!
Jeroen
Jeroen 28-03-2018 10:10, 6 years ago
It's a Hiscox, you'd be amazed what it can withstand. I've had both my S2 Classics shipped to me in one. One from Israel in three layers of bubblewrap and one from the UK in a cardboard box, and both arrived completely unscathed by airfreight.
L
LucienLaTulipe 28-03-2018 09:08, 6 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm already the proud owner of a Series 2 which was posted to me from a finnish boardsman ten years ago (Hi Lassi); it was in the full-flight, tank built aluminium case with moulded foam... Wich implies zero movement inside, hence zero problem with the shipping.

Now I'm just about to get a S1 classic and trying hard to think which would be the best way for the seller to send me the beast. The S1 comes with its moulded bass case, not the panzer thing but the simple one. I don't know about this kind of case, is it strong enough to prevent any damage? What would be your tips to protect the bass during its travel? (Paris to East France, yes it's little distance, but you never know, and c'mon, it's a Status bass!!!)

Thanks in advance,

Lucien

P.S. Has been quite a long time I've not been here and browsing randomly the forums makes me happy with all those sexy basses - I promise I'll post pictures as soon as the S1 will arrive and rejoin its old sister!
Danny
Danny 22-03-2018 03:29, 6 years ago
Hey that's great, I'm no expert but I do like to tinker on the basses, mostly how I've learned. Just replace the wires, it'll be a fun little project and I bet it will sound great afterwards.
snorkybingo
snorkybingo 13-03-2018 08:51, 6 years ago
Thanks Danny,

I did exactly this and found there was no voltage. I opened up the battery connectors and the oxidisation had rotted the negative wire in both connectors. I've managed to solder it back together but the wire is very brittle and constantly snaps when I try to strip it back. The same goes for the earth wire from the bridge and one of the earth wires on the jack socket which also snapped off while I was inside the electrics. The wiring needs an overhaul but at least it working until I get the parts and some free time next week.

Thank you both for your help.
Danny
Danny 13-03-2018 03:54, 6 years ago
Does sound like a battery/connection issue, my S2 distorts like mad when the batteries are running low. I guess you'd need to put it on a meter to see if 9v is running through the wires.

Without the batteries in do all the pots still work ok?
snorkybingo
snorkybingo 13-03-2018 01:12, 6 years ago
Thanks for the reply Garbo but my circuit doesn't have a trim pot. Nothing looks to be blown on the circuit, a GMT Pre-Set 1, the pots seem to work ok, volume, balance and tone even with the distortion present. I did have a lot of oxidisation on the battery connectors that I've now cleaned up. The sound is clean and very quiet without the batteries in.
panelstate
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator

Filter by Tags

Popular Threads This Week

There are no threads found