Technical Area

For everything Status and technical
4256 posts | Last Activity on 14-04-2006 22:28 by tarqh
T
tarqh 14-04-2006 22:28, 18 years ago
Re: status 3000 fretless
status 3000 fretlesshi there, i have a status 3000 that had neck damage about 10 years ago and i took to the bass centre to se what could be done. they sent it to rob green who put a new fretless neck on it at my request. it has been in its case for ages an i was wondering what it might be worth. the number on the nut is #091. if anyone could give me a ballpark figure, i would be very grateful.
Responded in status 3000 fretless
andre
andre 10-04-2006 00:39, 18 years ago
Re: serial number (help)
Hi energy3542 (sounds like your serial number :-)

Mine 4 string Energy was dated to early 1996 with a serial of 2283 ... therefore yours could possibly be a 1998 or 1999 model. Keep in mind that in those days serial were most probably incremental across models ...

Andre
Responded in serial number (help)
Malc
Malc 09-04-2006 23:43, 18 years ago
Re: Shark Pro
Actually, I think Visog_shark is referring to the "Shark Pro-Active". It's the official name for the active version of the Shark 2 (see the review). I'm not sure about the Shark 1 - come to think of it, I'm not even certain there was an active version, but I'm sure someone can clarify this. In any case, the sticker on my Shark says "SHARK PROACTIVE" so that must be it, and yes, with the circuit and twin Hyperactives it's a great bass. I've never tried a passive Shark to compare it, though.
Responded in Shark Pro
E
energy3542 09-04-2006 23:21, 18 years ago
Re: serial number (help)
Hello everybody,
I bought my Status Energy from a shop last year. The bass was new, it was still packed and it was lying in the shop warehouse. The shop had two Energy basses: one was exposed to public, the other was still packed up. The basses have been in the shop for many years; the owner of the shop didn't really remember for how long.
I would like to know when my bass was crafted and maybe somebody can help me. I asked Rob Green if he could tell me when this bass (serial number 3542) was finished but he answered that he didn't traced it and that the bass was probably sold to Trace Elliot to let them distribute in shops before 1997.
Can anybody give me some more clues?
Does anybody have a bass with serial number similar to mine? Maybe he knows exactly when his bass was finished and I can have a rough idea of the age of my incredibly sounding bass.
Thank you.
Responded in serial number (help)
rologica
rologica 08-04-2006 09:46, 18 years ago
I'm sorry, but what is a "Status Pro"?
Responded in Shark Pro
V
Visog_shark 08-04-2006 09:43, 18 years ago
Hi Statii players,

I've got a spanking Status Pro with two Hyperactive pickups and 2 band EQ. Haven't seen much discussion about such beasts - I tried a normal (passive) Shark. It felt good but didn't have the tonal versatility I wanted. Enter the Pro - Actives and that feel. Anyone else know what I'm on about? Or am I in a minority of one? (as usual). Shark Pro players respond! Maybe entry-level in the Status marquee but a cracking bass none-the-less.
Responded in Shark Pro
A
Adam_bonzi 06-04-2006 00:07, 18 years ago
Re: Washburn Statii
I'm in the process of buying one (it comes in three weeks) does this count as a status!!!! I really cant wait as a student who is broke it will be the nearest i will get to owning a bass that is in theory a status. Im glad to see people speak highly off it!!!, I really thought thought there wud be a bit of bass snobberry towards the Washburn/status collaboration - guess i was wrong

take it easy
Adam
Responded in Washburn Statii
RobJ
RobJ 24-03-2006 04:37, 18 years ago
Re: Canary Yellow Series 2000
ShockGrinSmileWink

I wonder why this bass is a "one-off"?

I second the refinsher search....kidding of course.... really...

Grin
status
status 24-03-2006 04:03, 18 years ago
I'm very glad to say that my Status is not canary yellow. Shock

To be honest a canary yellow S2000 or Kingbass would have me looking for a refinisher. Wink
Jimbo
Jimbo 24-03-2006 02:13, 18 years ago
Hi All,

I posted a request for photos of this bass on the Yahoo group but am hoping to get a better response here.

Mike Brooks and 'Funky Hobbit' have both e-mailed me to say that they once owned 'Custard Colin', a one-off canary yellow Series 2000 but they don't have photos immediately to hand. Are you the current owner or do you have any photos you can e-mail?

The reason: possible creation of a "Custard Kingbass".

Thanks
moo
moo 18-03-2006 11:49, 18 years ago
Re: Cleaning?
I bought the early Series II which was a bit of a mess (plays like an absolute dream though, thanks Kev)...

i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/MatthewAshenden/SeriesIIBefore.jpg

I stripped it down taking off all the brass and spent a few hours with some brasso etc. and now it looks a million times better...

i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/MatthewAshenden/SeriesIIAfter.jpg

took me back to my days in training with the Royal Marines... Sad

nice tip on the neck!

I need to address the lacquer on the body next... "Hello Rob"!!!

Grin
Responded in Cleaning?
M
MrWalker 14-03-2006 20:56, 18 years ago
Re: Status Shark and pickups
I think the body is cherry and the fingerboard American Walnut. I'm not 100% sure about this, though, but that's what the spec sheet from the catalogue here on statii.com states for this model.

I'm sure it's the same pickup that's used on the Eclipse. Judging by the Status web site, they used only a few different types at each time, so I guess it's a twin coil pickup, and most likely a humbucker. Probably the early one.

I have been playing this bass a lot lately, and I may just keep it as it is. It has a very round and warm sound, and even my wife (who normally gives a s**t about my basses) has complimented the sound of it. So for the time being, I'll probably just keep it as it is.

If Status has another chrome-pickup, it would probably change the case a little... I could live with two chrome-pickups! Grin

Thanks for your input, everyone. Smile
RobJ
RobJ 14-03-2006 12:59, 18 years ago
Alder and ash I thought, but I could well be wrong. I recall reading that most blonde colored instruments were ash and other colored instruments were made of alder.
My bass was probably sunburst originally so the body is more than likely alder. I'm the second owner and bought the bass in 1978 for $200 US. Not a bad deal. Wink
Malc
Malc 14-03-2006 11:12, 18 years ago
The Shark 1 is cherry, I believe, whereas Shark 2s are alder. Didn't Fender use alder and poplar mostly?
RobJ
RobJ 14-03-2006 08:17, 18 years ago
That's a good looking bass, I wouldn't change anything on it but then that's just me. What type of wood is the body? I have a '63 Fender P that's been stripped to bare wood and it looks just like that, especially with the redish colored tortoise scratch plate.

Rob
Malc
Malc 14-03-2006 00:35, 18 years ago
It could be the same pickup as used in the Eclipse LTD edition (there's a pic of Status5's - very nice). It wouldn't surprise me; the Shark 2 has Hyperactives, for example, and it's bound to be more cost-effective to minimise pickup variations.
E
energy3542 14-03-2006 00:26, 18 years ago
Please, don't touch it!
It look so nice...and I'm sure it sounds fantastic.
It was made to be as it is.
Cool
Col B
Col B 13-03-2006 23:28, 18 years ago
Hi there
I have always used Lemon as it strips any grotty hand grease away. Great tip with WD40 on the fingerboard and some times on the body lightly with T Cut to remove small scratches
Cheeeers
Responded in Cleaning?
Status5
Status5 13-03-2006 09:56, 18 years ago
Thanx guys!
The funny thing is, I would have avoided wd40 like the plague but if the 'man' sez its okay then it must be :p
I usually use a vinegar based cleaner for the frets so I guess thats not helping too much Sad
I suppose lemon oil makes it smell nice toooooooo Cool
Cheers
M
Responded in Cleaning?
M
MrWalker 13-03-2006 08:10, 18 years ago
I'm very satisfied with the sound of my new Shark. I was wondering, does anybody know which pickup is in there? A humbucker of some type, I presume? It's the chrome pickup version, with a serial number of 4092.

I'm considering adding another pickup in the bridge position to the bass, to make it slightly more versatile. I'm sure Status no longer have chrome covered pickups available, so I presume that option is out.

But what do you think... would adding a piezo bridge provide a more "jazz like" tone, or does the piezo add a different type of sound?

Still in the thinking corner on this, but I really like the bass and know it would be even more "my tone" with a bridge pickup of some type.

Here's a photo of the bass:
home.no.net/mrwalker/basser/status1.jpg
panelstate
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator

Filter by Tags

Popular Threads This Week

There are no threads found