Technical Area

For everything Status and technical
4256 posts | Last Activity on 13-03-2006 07:55 by status
status
status 13-03-2006 07:55, 18 years ago
Re: Cleaning?
Lemon oil would probably work OK on the fingerboard as well.
Responded in Cleaning?
andre
andre 13-03-2006 07:40, 18 years ago
Hi Status5, for phenolic fingerboards, Rob Green suggests:

"The dry look on the fingerboard is where the laminated phenolic material is actually 'drying' out a little. It is often caused by being cleaned with a water or solvent based polish which can take the natural 'oils' out of the board. You can fix this very easily by cleaning the fingerboard with a very small amount of oil. Something as simple as WD40 is fine. Use a soft cotton cloth and wipe a VERY small amount of oil on the fingerboard and rub it in.... then clean it all off again leaving just a trace which has 'soaked' into the surface. This will bring back the dark colour of the board. 'Non waxy' types of furniture polish are fine for the gloss lacquer on the body or the lacquer on the BACK of the neck but not for the fingerboard."

That's a start :-)
Responded in Cleaning?
Status5
Status5 13-03-2006 07:23, 18 years ago
Okay all you wise people, whats the best thing to use when cleaning our Statii's?
You can get cleaning kits but they always seem to have various 'oils' for the neck wood which is okay if your neck's made of wood Shock but what if is phenolic?
Answers on a postcard to-----
(No prize is given for the correct answer !) Sad
Responded in Cleaning?
status
status 11-03-2006 08:28, 18 years ago
Re: Change the neck
Yeah, you are probably right. Might be better just to buy another Status. What a hardship that would be! Wink
Responded in Change the neck
chuckamok63
chuckamok63 11-03-2006 07:01, 18 years ago

status wrote:
Tempted to put a Status neck on my Jazz bass. I reckon it would look well cool, especially if I could have the roman numerals as fret markers and side LEDs

The neck itself probably wouldn't be a bad investment but the LEDs would involve body modification for wire channels and battery box-Financially you're probably better off getting the whole Jazz Bass from Status, at least you can pick the options.
Rich
Rich 10-03-2006 09:39, 18 years ago
Re: Washburn Statii
I heard rumours of a common problem with the fingerboard and neck parting company. Anybody ever come across this?
Responded in Washburn Statii
D
Doctor_Bass 08-03-2006 10:37, 18 years ago
Hallo!

The Washburns did actually feature a phenolic fingerboard mated to a maple neck. They can be set up to play well but did not have the same `punch' as a Status. Great little basses tho!

Nick
RobJ
RobJ 07-03-2006 06:11, 18 years ago
Re: Status wooden neck vs graphite
Agreed, it's not like I have a shortage of basses, but I do have a space cleared in my vault for another Status. Grin

Rob
G-77
G-77 07-03-2006 05:23, 18 years ago
as far as i can tell is much the same as my series 3000 but with the wood neck, I think the hardware & electronics are the same. I saw one for sale recently for £400, this is about the same as i paid for the Series 3000. I would recomend replaceing the pre amp in it!
andre
andre 07-03-2006 04:09, 18 years ago
This link to some reviews may be helpful: http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/D...tus-1.html
K
kidcharlemagne 07-03-2006 00:18, 18 years ago
Hi Steve,

I used to have a Washburn Status - my first 'real' bass. I liked it a lot, so I'd certainly recommend them if you can get them at a decent price.

Anyway, regarding the Status/Washburn elements of this bass: it had Status Hyperactive pickups and Status branded hardware (bridge). And of course the shape was Rob Green's design. But unlike a true Status, it was actually all wood - the neck was wood, not graphite, although it was finished in such a way as it looked like it could have been graphite. And I guess it was put together by Washburn - now that I'm the proud owner of a real Status, I can see that the fit and finish on the Washburn Status were nowhere near that of a true Status.

Maybe some other boardmembers can chip in with their views, or even Rob himself, who I believe looks in occasionally.

K.
M
MrWalker 06-03-2006 19:41, 18 years ago

RobJ wrote:
Shock " don't really hear the difference " Shock

Andre, Thanks for the response, though I have to say I'm a bit surprised. Hmmm... so far it doesn't appear a graphite replacement neck would buy me much (if anything). The neck on my bass is excellent really so I have no compelling reason to change it out.

I suppose I should save the money towards a new Status down the road. Grin

I think this is the best idea. If your bass works fine the way it is, don't change it. You'll end up with using a lot of money, and still have only one (although great) instrument.

If you save for a little while, you can add a second great instrument to your collection. Smile

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Wink
RobJ
RobJ 06-03-2006 09:50, 18 years ago
Shock " don't really hear the difference " Shock

Andre, Thanks for the response, though I have to say I'm a bit surprised. Hmmm... so far it doesn't appear a graphite replacement neck would buy me much (if anything). The neck on my bass is excellent really so I have no compelling reason to change it out.

I suppose I should save the money towards a new Status down the road. Grin
andre
andre 06-03-2006 08:33, 18 years ago
Hi Rob, well yes that is true, but it was not by choice simply the wooden neck was badly warped ... and I was really keen on getting my 5 string Energy back in shape! The neck change cost me roughly 700 US$. In terms of playability there is no doubt the graphite necks are incredible; soft, fast and are known for their stability. In terms of tone I don't really want to make any comments as I don't really hear the difference Wink
status
status 06-03-2006 07:34, 18 years ago
Hopefully Andre can help you out with this one as he changed the neck on his Energy from wood to graphite.
RobJ
RobJ 06-03-2006 06:14, 18 years ago
I'm considering purchasing a graphite neck (bolt on) for my Eclipse Artist, assuming Status has one, and was wondering if anyone has done a comparison between a Status wooden neck and the graphite one on the same model bass?

I'm thinking the bass will really open up if I make this change. I do have a Modulus Q5 in my collection which nothing else I have comes close to touching in the area of clarity. On the other hand I've never heard the bass with anything but the graphite neck so I don't know how much of its sound can be attributed to the neck vs body, pickups, etc.

All input appreciated of course. Smile

Rob
M
MrWalker 05-03-2006 06:44, 18 years ago
Re: Grounding noise from the chrome pickup on the Shark
OK... took the pickguard off, tightened the jack socket slightly and checked the solderings. Guess what... the grounding noise disappeared. I don't know what happened, or why... but it now works fine. Smile
BassSteve
BassSteve 05-03-2006 06:34, 18 years ago
Ola Mes Amigos,
I have just returned from Mexico and need to re-acclimate Cool. Amazing the amount of activity; i.e. new members, posts, etc, in one week!
On to my question: A student of mine who is in love with my new Empathy is looking at a Washburn Status on e-bay. He asked me exactly what was Status versus Washburn on this bass. I couldn't answer him, but told him I knew where I could find out... Wink . Any info??

All the best.
Steve
status
status 05-03-2006 01:17, 18 years ago
Tempted to put a Status neck on my Jazz bass. I reckon it would look well cool, especially if I could have the roman numerals as fret markers and side LEDs
andre
andre 04-03-2006 06:59, 18 years ago
Indeed you should ask Rob or Dawn but if i remember well it is in area of 300£ or so as stated by status above.
panelstate
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator

Filter by Tags

Popular Threads This Week

There are no threads found