Technical Area

For everything Status and technical
4256 posts | Last Activity on 04-03-2006 05:28 by status
status
status 04-03-2006 05:28, 18 years ago
Re: Change the neck
I think that is one that needs a call to Status. The replacement necs for other basses are around £300. The exact price is on their website (link top left) so I assume it will be around that.

I am pretty sure Andre put a graphite neck on his Energy so he may also be able to help.
Responded in Change the neck
RaoulVador
RaoulVador 04-03-2006 02:42, 18 years ago
Re: Change the neck
It is possible on a 5 strings energy model to change the maple neck by a graphite neck anf if yes, how much does it cost ?

Thanks
Responded in Change the neck
RobJ
RobJ 02-03-2006 07:25, 18 years ago
Re: Loose nut question
Thanks for the input guys. My bass is headed into the luthier's shop next week for a good going over and repair of the loose nut. I don't trust myself to do much more than basic setup work on my basses let alone get near one of them with glue in hand. Wink

Rob
Responded in Loose nut question
Malc
Malc 02-03-2006 00:17, 18 years ago
When I got my Shark it was obvious the previous owner had reglued the nut at some point, and I've had to do it myself since. I think I used superglue, but it hasn't been a problem. In a way it's sort of reassuring to hear that mine isn't the only one.
M
MrWalker 01-03-2006 08:34, 18 years ago
Re: Grounding noise from the chrome pickup on the Shark
The Status Shark just arrived, and it's a nice bass (simple review elsewhere).

However, the chrome covered pickup produces a very high buzz when I touch it with my hand. The noise disappears if I touch the bridge.

Has anyone any experience with this? Is there anything in paricular I should check out regarding the grounding of the pickup and/or cover?

Thanks,
MrW
G-77
G-77 25-02-2006 09:36, 18 years ago
Re: Piezo bridge on S2 ?
ABM make Bass-Bridge with piezo pickups in them, i sure if you ask Rob nicely he could incorporate one into a S2
Responded in Piezo bridge on S2 ?
Rich
Rich 22-02-2006 11:26, 18 years ago
Re: Battery Box Issue
Yes, I had the odd-sized battery problem on my old S1... suffice it to say, don't use Tesco alkaline PP3s, they're smaller than everybody else's! (in fact, don't go to Tesco at all, cos they're environmental criminals)
Responded in Battery Box Issue
N
nivek 21-02-2006 23:34, 18 years ago
Re: Piezo bridge on S2 ?
I am wondering if piezo bridges could be an option on S2 series for fretlesses, for example... I really like the influence of theses systems on a fretless.
Responded in Piezo bridge on S2 ?
N
nivek 21-02-2006 23:31, 18 years ago
Re: wooden fingerboards
I've noticed some wooden/phenolic fingerboards on some models recently updated on the Status website and I have some questions about them :

Is that a new option ?
Does it have an influence on the sound ?
Is there an added cost ?
Are they also available for fretlesses ?
Is there a large panel of woods available ?

Thanks !
Responded in wooden fingerboards
B
boris_spyder 21-02-2006 01:41, 18 years ago
I had the same problem on my buzzard 2. Bought it used...played it a few weeks & while I was practising it came loose. Took the strings off, cleaned out the slot gently with a piece of cloth & glued it back in with some clear household epoxy. It's been fine since (2 years).
RobJ
RobJ 20-02-2006 07:07, 18 years ago
Hello Rob,
Thanks for the information. While I don't plan on repairing this myself, I was wondering what type of epoxy you are refering to. Granted I'm not very knowledgeable about adhesives and such but I always thought epoxies where of a more or less permanent nature, that is you wouldn't want to use them on something you may want to take apart again, in this case a nut which you might want to replace at some point. On the other hand it could well be that the term epoxy means something else your side of the pond. Grin Or, which is more likely, I've a misunderstanding about what epoxies are.
Rob Green
Rob Green 19-02-2006 22:20, 18 years ago
Hi Steve,
The battery boxes are made by Gotoh and are now used by a lot of manufaturers. On earlier models there were sometimes problems with the variation in the size of the battery... not all PP3 batteries are the same size which make it difficult. ( Re-chargeables are sometimes particularly odd and I don't recommend them). Gotoh re-designed the holder a couple of years ago and the problem seems to be improved. Corrosion from sweat can also cause problems after a few years. Send me an e-mail and I'll get a replacement sent out to you.
Best regards, Rob Green.
Rob Green
Rob Green 19-02-2006 22:13, 18 years ago
Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear about the problem. It sounds like the string guide / top-nut has just taken a knock dislodged. They were glued on with epoxy so you just need to clean up the surface of the brass and the end of the fingerboard before gluing it back on. I guess the extra string rattle is just because the top-nut is vibrating when you play as the zero fret would not have moved.
I hope this helps.
Regards, Rob Green.
RobJ
RobJ 19-02-2006 18:16, 18 years ago
I was changing the strings on my Eclipse Artist a few days ago and noticed the nut is loose. I did my best to line it back up as I completed the string change and now find there is significant fret buzz at the zero fret of the G string which wasn't apparent before. I can sort of move the nut around a little and get the buzz to lessen but not completely go away.

I plan to take it in to the luthier's shop to have him correct the problem and do a thorough setup, but I'm curious to know a few things; The nut is brass and I was wondering what type of glue is used to secure it, I'm new to the brass kind and really have no idea. Has anyone else here experienced a problem like mine with a loose nut and fret buzz? If so, what was the required remedy?

Best regards,
Rob
G-77
G-77 19-02-2006 07:55, 18 years ago
Hi steve, it sound like you need a new battery box!
You could get one from Status spare parts (pots) or
Axesrus might be able to help If there is any corrosion in the box it would be worth replacing.

EDIT: I just saw you are in the USA, I expect you should be able to get a battery box in Radio Shack!
BassSteve
BassSteve 19-02-2006 04:27, 18 years ago
I have temporarily resolved an issue with my recently purchased mid 90s Empathy and was curious as whether any of you had run into similar problems with "older basses".
When I bought the bass of of e-bay, one of the battery boxes was loose and had come disconnected, so I re-soldered the connection and hot glued the box back into the cavity (it appears this is what Rob uses). I thought my troubles were over..
At my last gig, I noticed some crackling, and at one point the bass cut out completely Shock!! After a several seconds of frantic poking and prodding, I detected the problem was originating from the battery area and pulled both out and re-inserted. This worked for the time being, but on closer inspection, I found that the little "trap door" that presses the batteries against the contacts was not exerting adequate pressure to maintain constant flow. I folded up two pieces of matchbook and inserted them between the batteries and trap doors as shims, and the problem was solved... FOR NOW. Is this a common problem, and are new and/or improved battery boxes available? Steve

P.S. I am proud to be the first Status technician to post here... this in no way indicates that I have a clue. Wink
panelstate
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator

Filter by Tags

Popular Threads This Week

There are no threads found