Status wooden neck vs graphite

Last updated on 18 years ago
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
I'm considering purchasing a graphite neck (bolt on) for my Eclipse Artist, assuming Status has one, and was wondering if anyone has done a comparison between a Status wooden neck and the graphite one on the same model bass?

I'm thinking the bass will really open up if I make this change. I do have a Modulus Q5 in my collection which nothing else I have comes close to touching in the area of clarity. On the other hand I've never heard the bass with anything but the graphite neck so I don't know how much of its sound can be attributed to the neck vs body, pickups, etc.

All input appreciated of course. :)

Rob
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Hopefully Andre can help you out with this one as he changed the neck on his Energy from wood to graphite.
andreandre
Admin
Posted 18 years ago
Hi Rob, well yes that is true, but it was not by choice simply the wooden neck was badly warped ... and I was really keen on getting my 5 string Energy back in shape! The neck change cost me roughly 700 US$. In terms of playability there is no doubt the graphite necks are incredible; soft, fast and are known for their stability. In terms of tone I don't really want to make any comments as I don't really hear the difference ;)
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
:o " don't really hear the difference " :o

Andre, Thanks for the response, though I have to say I'm a bit surprised. Hmmm... so far it doesn't appear a graphite replacement neck would buy me much (if anything). The neck on my bass is excellent really so I have no compelling reason to change it out.

I suppose I should save the money towards a new Status down the road. :D
M
MrWalker
Posted 18 years ago

RobJ wrote:
:o " don't really hear the difference " :o

Andre, Thanks for the response, though I have to say I'm a bit surprised. Hmmm... so far it doesn't appear a graphite replacement neck would buy me much (if anything). The neck on my bass is excellent really so I have no compelling reason to change it out.

I suppose I should save the money towards a new Status down the road. :D

I think this is the best idea. If your bass works fine the way it is, don't change it. You'll end up with using a lot of money, and still have only one (although great) instrument.

If you save for a little while, you can add a second great instrument to your collection. :)

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. ;)
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
Agreed, it's not like I have a shortage of basses, but I do have a space cleared in my vault for another Status. :D

Rob
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator