Level 42 dvd's

Last updated on 16 years ago
RetroronRetroron
Posted 16 years ago
Hi All, I was reading through a post that was made a while back regarding the sound of Mark King's bass in various L42 dvd's. I was very surprised to read one or two comments about the sound of his bass on the Live at Reading dvd and that it was naff? I think the sound of his bass on that particular dvd is great, with lot's of definition/nice and tight sounding. The Retroglide tour dvd was mixed by Mark himself at his home studio and I'm not too keen on the sound of the bass to be honest. Not that I'm doubting Mark's production or mixing abilities you understand, as I really like the production on the actual Retroglide album which was also recorded in Mark's home studio.

The Live at the Apollo dvd sounds pretty good, and I also prefer the sound of the bass on that dvd to the Retroglide tour dvd.

Thought's anyone???
Edited by Retroron on 12-07-2008 04:33, 16 years ago
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
I ordered my Retroglide prior to recieving the Retroglide DVD. Once I heard his sound on that DVD, I was worried about my choice to by the bass (having never actually heard it). I too, like the sound of his bass on the Reading and Apollo DVDs although a little too compressed. But I must admit being extremely pleased when my bass arrived and the sound was not like his latest DVD. I guess the most annoying part of the Retroglide DVD is his bass solo being buried in so much effects (just sounds ugly to my ears). Perhaps playing bass solos and the same songs for more than 20 years gets quite boring for him.
The thing about the old Level 42 stuff that really charmed me was that there was a "dryness" to the sound that gave it more definition. It seems Marks playing is pushed into the busyness of the music more and more with time. I have this sound in my mind that I try to emulate for Mark King, my bass can do it, its just my playing that cant reach the bar. Often thought it would be very cool to hear the old songs "remade" using todays recording technology and instruments. The new songs are great too, it just seems there is not enough space in them, a little too busy.
But we all know its easy to be an armchair critic B)
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
DamonDamon
Posted 16 years ago
I also really like the sound of the Reading DVD. You can really hear the bass well in the overall mix. I wonder if this was true if you were actually there (anyone?). Not a massive fan of the Retroglide tour DVD either. The bass sound is too often lost beneath the sequenced bass. (A common complaint by many L42 fans.) So it doesn't really matter if he's actually playing half the time. I agree with Todd about the solo.
I hope the next DVD shows an improvement in the sound mix department.
Here's hoping.
Cheers
D
PS. Is this post in the right section?
Edited by Damon on 13-07-2008 08:26, 16 years ago
M
mkstylee
Posted 16 years ago
sorry to say but as much as i love my kb there will never be another mk tone like he had back in the day with a jaydee strapped under his chin ,long live jaydee;s
usa jazz deluxe
75 jazz
warwick 5.1pro fet head ,,aguilar 112db cab
aguliar 2x10 cab
status kingbass maple top
65 fender strat all original ,£20.000 any one
srv strat
knopfler strat
patrick gigliotti telecaster [nice!]
schecter strat
59 reissue les paul
clapton strat
cort 5 string bass [recording]
5 watt blackheart little giant ,1x12 cab
various pedals
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
I still tend to believe that Mark's sound coming out of his amp is probably still amazing, would have to be better than it was years ago, not just endoursing a product just because it has his name on it. The problem would most likely be that the sound he gets is not making its way to us as a result of mixdown or capture. My Kingbass has such a great variety of sound, and I definitely dont hear that on the latest recordings. The mix of the music from the 90's forward changed into something a little too undefined for me.
What I really need to do is sit down with Mark over a beer and get him to play just his bass, so I can find out the truth B)
M
mkstylee
Posted 16 years ago
yes the sound of the 90's wasnt good was listening to guaranteed the other day and the sound of the alembics was boring to say the least ,i love the sound of my kb it's fantastic but its the same with someone like mark knopfler when he was young with just a fender strat he made it sing as mark king made his jaydee sing i think its to do with being young and hungry for success that brings a lot of tone out of people when there trying to make their sound when knopfler changed to pensa surh guitars after making it big i think his tone went too i dont think a kb cuts it with the old level 42 stuff to well sounds to modern
usa jazz deluxe
75 jazz
warwick 5.1pro fet head ,,aguilar 112db cab
aguliar 2x10 cab
status kingbass maple top
65 fender strat all original ,£20.000 any one
srv strat
knopfler strat
patrick gigliotti telecaster [nice!]
schecter strat
59 reissue les paul
clapton strat
cort 5 string bass [recording]
5 watt blackheart little giant ,1x12 cab
various pedals
RetroronRetroron
Posted 16 years ago
Hi Todd, I'm attending the soundcheck at L42's show in Glasgow in October so I'll be able to hear firsthand just how Mark's bass sounds on it's own in an empty venue. You're correct about the volume of his bass in the mix on L42's more recent material, it's not as upfront as it used to be in the earlier material. Production styles change so much and I guess the sound of the bass on the more recent recordings has been mixed to sit more with the overall sound.

I also agree with mkstylee to the point that I love the sound of Mark's JD's on the earlier stuff, but again times change and I don't think the JD sound would suit the new L42 material. Do you know that the first batch of Level 42 stuff was recorded with an old Shergold bass which didn't even belong to Mark. A certain chap called Rob Green used to work for Shergold.
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
Make sure you bring a portable recording device so the debate can be settled with evidence :D:D:D:D:D
RetroronRetroron
Posted 16 years ago
According to a very reliable source who shall remain nameless? (a member of the band no less!), Mark's quite particular regarding soundchecks and who attends them. I don't think he'd be too happy if he were to clock me standing next to his speaker cabs with a portable recorder!! He'd probably have me chucked out (Ha-Ha).

I'm really looking forward to the gig, and I'm taking my ten year old son along. It will be the first proper gig he's been to and I know he's going to be blown away!
I have the reliable source mentioned above to thank for enabling me to attend the soundcheck. I'll be taking a few pics though that's for sure.

I met the original L42 line up back in 84 and sat and had a beer or two with
Mr King and co backstage after the show. He and Boon had run out of ciggies and borrowed a few from my mate. Still have the signed programme from the True Colours tour.
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
Thats great, you have to get some pics! I would be pretty stoked about attending the soundcheck too.....enjoy!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator