Kingbss 16.5mm string spacing

Last updated on 16 years ago
RetroronRetroron
Posted 16 years ago
Hi All,
I ordered my second Kingbass last week, an Artist with no bendwell and 19mm string spacing. The thing is, I'm now thinking if I've made the right choice regarding the 16.5mm string spacing/bendwell etc. Is there much difference between the two, and does the 16.5mm take a bit of time to get used to. My first Kingbass and my S2 classic both had 19mm spacing so would it feel really strange to move over to 16.5mm? Someone please advise as it's not too late to change my mind with the order.
Ron.

I'm sure you've seen this pic loads of times, but here's a pic of what my new baby
will hopefully looklike!!
Edited by Retroron on 14-07-2008 11:16, 16 years ago
You do not have access to view attachments
D
Don Prince
Posted 16 years ago
Hey Ron,

As for me, the same string spacing on every bass is, I think, what works best for me. Having had some experiences with different Status basses & string spacing, it seems as if you always have to adjust yourself to the differences.
Some people dont seem to mind though.

Don.
There is enough music for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.

Robert Fripp.
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
Don knows his stuff. I adapted to the 16.5 spacing so easily, I almost feel like there's no turning back now. Unless you have sausage fingers, shouldn't be any difficulty for you.
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
RetroronRetroron
Posted 16 years ago
Hi Todd, What do you find the benefits are of having the 16.5mm spacing?

Ron.
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
The consistancy all the way up the neck makes it easier for me to switch from lower to high notes a little more seamlessly (is that a word?). Seems to put off a little bit of fatigue as the strings being closer together makes for less effort moving around the fretboard. At first I found that I had to adapt slap style playing when doing pull offs on the D string, but that didn't take long. My kingbass is only my first Status, I played several other brands with the standard spacing previously until I got the KB, and now I prefer !6.5mm spacing, and stumble on my other basses when I pick them up.
Having said that. there are other players here that have several Status who can give you real side by side comparisons (Themoo, Don Prince, Damon, beany..and so on). Personal preferance may have a lot to do with it...
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
RetroronRetroron
Posted 16 years ago
Hi Todd, Thanks very much for the info! Perhaps some of the members you've mentioned will post some answers regarding comparing string spacing.

Best, Ron.
rogertvrrogertvr
Posted 16 years ago
I took delivery of my new KingBass Artist a couple of weeks ago, as you may or may not be aware.

I took the plunge and went for 16.5mm string spacing and the Bendwell, which of course shortens the scale from 34" to 32". All of my other basses are 19mm spacing with 34" scale.

I'm still struggling a little with the spacing and the scale, but due to the pressures of business, I've not had much time to play so I'm still adjusting.

I have to say I feel that, given a little more time, I'll be equally comfortable playing fingerstyle on any of my basses. I have already found though that the reduced string spacing and shortened scale of my new KingBass is a definite advantage when playing slap (and my slap bass playing is crap at the moment and always has been - but it's already improved it whereas before I couldn't seem to make any headway).

I suppose the question is - would I spend the money again to have both options fitted? Yes, definitely!
Silent FlySilent Fly
Posted 16 years ago

retroron wrote:
Hi All,
I ordered my second Kingbass last week, an Artist with no bendwell and 19mm string spacing. The thing is, I'm now thinking if I've made the right choice regarding the 16.5mm string spacing/bendwell etc. (...)

String spacing is a very personal thing. Some people like 16.5mm other 19mm. Either way, I don't see it a critical issue. It is quite easy to adapt either way. I have big hands and a 19mm KB. I can play 16.5mm KB without any problem.

I think the presence of the bendwell is much more important. In my experience, because of the unusual balance, a 34" KB can be quite difficult to play.
sfx sound - High Performance Audio
K
kidcharlemagne
Posted 16 years ago
Hi Retro,

I'd definitely give it some serious thought. I own a Kingbass pretty much exactly like the one you've ordered - only difference is, it has red leds - I just thought the red picked up the hint of red in the rosewood, and the red in the Status logo, nicely!

Anyway, I ordered mine with no bendwell: I've never, ever felt the need to bend open strings or harmonics, so I reckoned I could live without it - besides, I'd always used 34" scale basses before then (Jaydees and Stingrays). I also ordered it with 19m spacing, because that matched the Jaydees and Stingrays I was used to.

Here's the thing, though. While I was waiting for my Status to arrive I picked up a couple more basses, namely a vintage Steinberger L2 (very narrow string spacing!) and an Alembic Stanley Clarke (narrow string spacing and 30.75" scale). I was amazed at the difference the narrow spacing and the short scale made to my playing - it just became effortless. They not only make it so much quicker to jump from string to string and from positition to position up the neck, but the shorter scale means there's less tension in the strings, which enables me to pull off some fancy high speed triplet tricks that I can't always manage on heavier tension strings.

Anyway, my Kingbass arrived exactly as spec'ed, with long scale and wider spacing. And I do love it - the sound is fantastic, just what I wanted, and the finish, the woods and the styling are just gorgeous. I also realize I've got quite a special bass - I've seen and tried a number of very similar spec'ed Kingbasses, and none of them have quite the same sound or beautiful woods . . . So I certainly wouldn't get rid of it hastily - I'd have to be very careful about the bass I chose to replace it with. But I can't help wondering what my bass would have been like with the shorter scale and the narrower spacing.

My advice is to try a few variations out if at all possible - can you drop in at Rob's workshop to try a couple out and see if the scale and spacing differences are enough to swing it for you? Alternatively, find a few members in your area who have basses you can compare.

Good luck!

K.
thumperthumper
Posted 16 years ago
Hi, I bought a pretty identical kb to your one with 16.5mm spacing and found it difficult to adjust to, so sold it after 6 weeks and went for a 19mm instead which I find easier to play. It wasn't too difficult playing fingerstyle but slap was difficult and I struggled with accuracy, there again I do have quite big hands! Think I'll stick with what I'm used to in future though!

Hope this helps!:)
...be kind to each other...
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator