status SII

Last updated on 16 years ago
BLUNDERTHUMBSBLUNDERTHUMBS
Posted 16 years ago
Anyone out there know how I can get
the status 2000 sound out of my SII
I used to own an All graphite 2000 in the early 90s and sold it (regretably)
I now play an sII and can't get that particular sound
that I used to get. That punchy clinicly clean powerful
trouser flapping sound.
If this is not possible i might have to consider swapping
back to a 2000.
i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh304/blunderthumbs/IMG_0785.jpg
@
@mikepbass
Veteran Member
Posted 16 years ago
Not sure on that one blunderthumbs... I suppose the sound will be different due to a different pre-amp and the fact that the series 2000's are solid graphite body, and so have moire sustain...

Try fiddling about with the EQ and roll the pickup selector back. Thats what I do on my Kingbass to get a 'True Colours' almbum sound.

All the best
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
To my experience,
Every bass has its unique tone character, firstly, you have to listen to the sound without the instrument being plugged in. Whatever sound the bass produces naturally is the foundation for what the pickups can reproduce. I have found that playing the instrument acoustically gives me a good indication as to what it has the potential to sound like electronically. So if the sound of The S11 and the S2000 are the similar acoustically, then you are likely looking at tone variables with your amp ( I say this based on the circuit I see that your bass has, same as the KB ).
Before my recent amplifier purchase ( I tried many ), I was very surprised that many "good" amps were actually masking the sound of my bass with built in enhancements or simply not able to let the bass's natural tone shine. Also, dont forget, the mid circuit of your bass has a wide range of possibilities, especially when switching pickups, and the proper balance of this midrange control is what will give the bass sounds from a growl to being flatter than piss on a plate.
Essentially, the chain is as strong as the weakest link, now is the process of elimination. B)
Cheers
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
OutToPlayJazzOutToPlayJazz
Veteran Member
Posted 16 years ago
The closest you're going to get on your S2-Classic is to keep the mid selector switch to the middle setting (cut) so the preamp is operating like the old 2-band ones. I use plenty of treble & bass on mine as well. Gives a very close sound to my older 2-band models. I've heard the S2000's & Stealths with the single piece body are even 'growlier' than the wooden laminate bodies, so I don't think you'll get totally there, but the eq settings I mentioned will get you close.

Perhaps save up for a Stealth II?
Status S2-Classic, Enfield Lionheart Prototype, MusicMan Classic Sabre, Fender Classic Player Rascal
W
Windreaper
Posted 16 years ago
Well, the construction and electronics are different. I haven't played a 2000 nor a S2 Classic (and thus shouldn't be writing this as I'm probably way off base Smile, but have played an 80s SII. I also own a 1990 SII with the TB42 circuit and Status-branded Hyperactives, a mid 90's Energy and a current S1 Classic. I'd have to guess that the recent Status basses are just voiced differently. The older Status humbuckers are bright almost to the point of being harsh, imo. When listening to the newer ones those glassy highs just aren't there. Instead, there seems to be more warmth and fundamental in the tone (and yes, I've heard the pickups wired straight to the jack).

You could try using an external EQ (I use a Boss GEB-7 for the occasional slap preset, it's cheap and does the job, a parametric unit would be better) and/or changing the strings (try DR Hi-Beams, they're the bright and also very flexible, D'Addario ProSteels are also reputedly good for removing plaster from walls Smile. Honestly, though, hunting down an 80s SII or S2000 would be your best bet, there are too many variables to fix with external processing, imo. Btw, that's an absolutely gorgeous S2 (I'm a sucker for transparent finishes, especially Aquamarine), don't let that one go.
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago

Windreaper wrote:
Btw, that's an absolutely gorgeous S2 (I'm a sucker for transparent finishes, especially Aquamarine), don't let that one go.

Agreed, I have a nice Parker I will trade you for it...:D:D:D
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
Silent FlySilent Fly
Posted 16 years ago
In general I prefer the current production (SII-Classic) to the older basses (S2000).

To my ears, SIIs are a little bit more organic and balanced, the electronic is more flexible and the pickups are more neutral. More in general, I think the S2 sounds better in the mix with a drum but it is very much a personal opinion.

From the construction view point, SII have the truss rod (that I like to have in a bass), better bridge, more solid "head" in the headless models and better varnish.

With a S2 and a little bit of patience, it should be possible to get a sound that is very close to a S2000 sound. I would use a good EQ and a good compressor.

If I really wanted to get the S2000 sound I would probably run a matching-eq analysis. Once I have the correction eq curve, I would try to reproduce the curve with an external eq but I would need a S2, a S2000 and my computer to get all the data.
sfx sound - High Performance Audio
Edited by Silent Fly on 09-08-2008 22:04, 16 years ago
BLUNDERTHUMBSBLUNDERTHUMBS
Posted 16 years ago
Thanks for all your imput guys, really appreciate your time.
Gigged her again last night and had a bit of time to twiddle a few
knobs. Thanks to some of the tips you
have given me I think i'm getting there. I used her for the whole
of our first spot. Trouble is I always like to use my trusty Fender
jazz as well so setting up my amp for the SII doesn't suit the
jazz. I suppose i'll get used to the settings in good time.
With the fender I have all the controls set to max then use my
amp to set the sound I want. Have always done this and can't get
used all the knobs on the SII. Christ knows how I would cope
with an Alembic. All those Freaking controls.
I'm using an Ashdown Abm 500w 4x10 combo together with
An Abm 500w 1x15 cab. so that S2000 sound I want must be in there
somewhere.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator