4,5, or 6 strings on a bass and why

Last updated on 16 years ago
hazb74hazb74
Posted 16 years ago
Was just reading an article where Anthony Jackson says that the 6 string bass is exactly how a bass should be. Now I thank Mr. Jackson for his opinion, but I think that a 5 string is the bee's knees. The fiddly extra string on a 6 is quite 'lady like' if you catch my drift.

My question to the forum..... 4, 5 or 6 strings (or even more I you are called Jean Baudin) on a bass and why?

SHOOT!

Andre, this might be a good poll subject.......??
rgds, Harry AKA Sarcastic Bastard

My gear:
'07 Status S2 5
'96 Status Energy 5
'08 Status Smartbass 5
'06 Status/Musicman Stingray 5
Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 Amp
Genz Benz Neo X 212T
@
@mikepbass
Veteran Member
Posted 16 years ago
4 defo. 5 if necessary
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
I know several record producers and they say....

"4 big fat dirty strings please!"

That's it!
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
EdmoukEdmouk
Posted 16 years ago
6 strings ? My left hand is not wide enough for the neck ! :D
OutToPlayJazzOutToPlayJazz
Veteran Member
Posted 16 years ago
For fast funky stuff, my 4-string Status basses are unequalled. Nothing is faster, more even or sounds better.
I've been using my newest S2-Classic 5-string recently in shows & the bottom B came in very handy, but I use either a double bass, my Warwick Triumph upright or my 6-string Yamaha for a lot of big band work. The TRB-6 really comes into it's own when you're playing either jazz solos where you have so many more options & also for situations when you're playing with a lot of brass & wind players in stupid keys, where the C-string gives you more scope not to change position as often.

Six stringers are brilliant!
Status S2-Classic, Enfield Lionheart Prototype, MusicMan Classic Sabre, Fender Classic Player Rascal
L
Lynottfan
Posted 16 years ago
For me, a Bass = 4 Strings, can't say what you want with 4, then your hiding, dont dig the ERB thing, dropped Z death tuning or the old excuse of a "tight" low B, say it with 4 on the floor or not all! IMHO.
Johnny the Fox
D
daveski
Veteran Member
Posted 16 years ago
4 all the way,5 and 6s scare me to death!
G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
im a 4 er , keep thinking i might get a 5 at some point....
KingBass Prototype 4, MooWood KingBass, Streamline
@
@mikepbass
Veteran Member
Posted 16 years ago
I have been tempted to buy a 5er, as I could always tune it EADGC, like a tenor, as I just dont like having the B.
D
Don Prince
Posted 16 years ago
I used to play only 4 string basses for 20 to 25 years " give or take ". Being very interseted in chords, tempted me to purchase a 6 string. With a 6 string, you have the best of two worlds + much much more. Meaning, it's like having a 5 string ( BEADG ) for great grooves all the way down to the low B & a 4 string picollo ( ADGC ) for chording, melody & solo's. And you can mix these 2 worlds together with the various techniques played via the bass. Lets not forget, the 4 string tuning ( EADG ) is always available whenever needed.
It actualy took me a lot of years of practicing & inner conflicts to finaly make the switch from 4 to 6 string basses. Since, I've had no regrets, the 6 string got to be as comfortable to play as the 4 string, eventualy.
I beleive its always up to the individual musicians, as long as its very musical, the number of strings realy does not matter.
Also by putting distortion + sustain on a 6 string fretless, you can simulate a whammy bar quite efficiently with dive bombs & all. Very interesting.
To paraphrase Frank Zappa, " the mind is like a parachute, its does not work properly if its not open ".
Anywaay, the important thing is to have fun & exploit to the max our musical asparations, is it not ?

Don. ;)

P.S. There is nothing " lady " like when using the high C string
There is enough music for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.

Robert Fripp.
Edited by Don Prince on 05-10-2008 01:31, 16 years ago
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
Well stated. B)
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
pmpm
Posted 16 years ago
a very interesting discussion...For me a bass is an instrument with only 4 strings. Perhaps a 5 or 6-string can give you an extra option for this or that but in general I´m fully happy with my S2 4-string. On the other hand you can´t say a 4 or a 5 or a 6 string is the best. I think this is more or less an individual decision. There are all kinds available and so everybody is happy:)
Status S2 classic-neck through 4-string headless
Fame MM400
Trace Elliot AH400SM; 1048; 1518
D
Don Prince
Posted 16 years ago
It s only the best for me concerning my musical growth. Some of the best players in the world are playing the 4 stringer, so long live the 4 stringer. The important thing is to be happy with our playing, thats the bottom line, the number of strings realy does not matter at all.

Don.:)
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
Don, if I played half as good as you, I would be on a 6 stringer too!!

:o
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator