Part Status, part non-Status

Last updated on 15 years ago
M
MPU
Posted 15 years ago
Hello everyone,
I'm new on this forum. I've had this headless Status bass fetish from late eighties when I saw Pete Trewavas from Marillion using one on the Lorelei live video. I've made about 20 basses and guitars so far and now I'm about to make myself a Status-like bass using Status classic soapbar pickups, Moses headless graphite neck, chrome ABM single tuner/bridge units, Bartolini NTBT preamp and mahogany/figured walnut body. The shape will be similar to classic Status shape. I like narrower string spacing so Moses headless neck will suit fine.
I have all the parts home and today I glued the walnut top on the body. Next I'll sand the body to shape. I'll post pic of the body tomorrow.
Marko
youngjr1youngjr1
Veteran Member
Posted 15 years ago
Hi and welcome MPU. Yes, pics, pics, pics, I'd love to see the build as it progresses. Sounds interesting and fun. Best of luck with it.
M
MPU
Posted 15 years ago
Here's a pic of the body so far. Tomorrow I'll route the bevel to the edges. Control cavity and battery cavity has been made to the back as well as belly contour.
Marko
You do not have access to view attachments
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago
I love watching these builds. Keep the pics coming.
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 15 years ago
one day...

I built a guitar years ago and I really want to build a bass now. I just need to get my workshop back in order, find the time and then find someone who can supply me a chunk of Black American Walnut - no mean feat where I am.

Looking great, by the way.

Keep the pics coming, so I can live vicariously, then one day it may spur me into doing it.

Does anyone know, by the way, if Rob sells headless necks and hardware, bridges etc. If not, where is the best place to buy them?

Cheers

Keith
M
MPU
Posted 15 years ago
I have a carbon fiber skinned alder body under construction at the same time. So far I have laminated the skin and routed cavities. I need to level the back with one more coat of epoxy before painting and clearcoating the whole body.
Marko
You do not have access to view attachments
M
MPU
Posted 15 years ago
After a restart it's finished. I ended up making the whole body out of walnut and laminated a 3mm quilted birch veneer under the top. I'm not 100% satisfied with the shape of the top horn, but it will do. Finished with Danish oil and wax.
Marko
muusikoiden.net/dyn/users/55679.jpg
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago
Very nice, great job. Be interested to see the rear and neck join, any chance of more pictures? What board in the electronics did you use?
youngjr1youngjr1
Veteran Member
Posted 15 years ago
Very fine job! Really nice finish and color. Any chance you could record a bit with it? I'd love to hear how it sounds.
DamonDamon
Posted 15 years ago
Looks like you've done a great job. I'd also like to know what she sounds like.
M
MPU
Posted 15 years ago
Thanks for your comments. Here's a pic of the back. I'll try to record something later this evening. There's Bartolini 2-band preamp with vol, blend, bass boost/cut and treble boost/cut controls in it.
Marko
muusikoiden.net/dyn/users/55680.jpg
youngjr1youngjr1
Veteran Member
Posted 15 years ago
What's the neck material?
M
MPU
Posted 15 years ago
It's Moses graphite neck.
Marko
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator