LED's - Variable brightness?

Last updated on 15 years ago
L
lscolman
Posted 15 years ago
Hi,

I'm picking my Kingbass up next week with front LED's only.

Reading various posts, some people believe the LED's to be far too bright.

I was wondering if anyone had fitted a resistor in-line to limit the brightness or even a variable reistor to adjust the brightness?

Cheers, Lee
Status Black Beauty Prototype 23 '03
Jaydee Roadie 2A Custom
G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago
yep mine has got a rotery switch that select several combinations...

www.statii.com/status_cats/moo_basses/silentfly/leds.jpg
KingBass Prototype 4, MooWood KingBass, Streamline
L
lscolman
Posted 15 years ago
Hi,

Was that factory fitted by Rob when it was originally built or some dabbling by yourself? Where is the rotary switch fitted?

Cheers, Lee
Jaydee Roadie 2A Custom
stenobassstenobass
Veteran Member
Posted 15 years ago
Normally Rob already fitts a resistor in-line, but you could ask him to use a higher resistance value to dim the led brightness. I think he uses resistors with 3 values; min. 33 - 41 - max. 47.
G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago
the LED mod was orderd by the original owner of the Bass ( SilenFly ) the switch is next to the jack socket
www.statii.com/status_cats/moo_basses/silentfly/body_1.jpg
KingBass Prototype 4, MooWood KingBass, Streamline
Silent FlySilent Fly
Posted 15 years ago

G-77 wrote:
the LED mod was orderd by the original owner of the Bass ( SilenFly ) the switch is next to the jack socket
..img...

To clarify, the LED control circuit wasn't ordered by me. I designed/built the circuit and I send it to Rob when I ordered the bass.

SF
sfx sound - High Performance Audio
L
lscolman
Posted 15 years ago
Hi Silent,

Do you still have the design diagram, and if so are you prepared to send me a copy? It's a second hand Kingbass that I'm picking up on Wednesday, but wondered if I could incorporate the electronics in the rear patch bay.

Cheers, Lee
Jaydee Roadie 2A Custom
P
paul clifton
Posted 15 years ago
I had a rotary dial on my Alembic that dimmed the leds in a linear way. That was resistor based and was a $50 option (cheap for Alembic, so it must be easy)
Kingbass serial number 16 - rosewood and walnut
STATUS Hotwire strings 30-90 hex core
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago
Rob does offer it as an option (price unknown). He just adds a 4th knob in line with the 302 board. It's kind of a rheostat rotary. I think it would be worth having, had I known, I possibly would have had it but I only have wraps and I don't think they are as bright to be honest.
Silent FlySilent Fly
Posted 15 years ago

lscolman wrote:
Hi Silent,

Do you still have the design diagram, and if so are you prepared to send me a copy? It's a second hand Kingbass that I'm picking up on Wednesday, but wondered if I could incorporate the electronics in the rear patch bay.

Cheers, Lee

Ok this is the schematics:
Edited by Silent Fly on 08-05-2009 07:52, 15 years ago
You do not have access to view attachments
Silent FlySilent Fly
Posted 15 years ago
This is the switch with the diodes and resistor as I sent to Rob:
Silent FlySilent Fly
Posted 15 years ago
This is the switch itself with the adaptor I had to make to allow the usage of the standard Status knob.

This switch requires a hole the same diameter of the standard Status switch. In other words, it is possible to swap the original Status switch with this without any modification to the bass.

As far as I can remember, I bought the switch from Farnell-UK. I am not sure but I think the switch I used is no longer available. However, I search the catalogue and it looks like there is another switch (Farnell code 1524324) that looks the same size but it is a double-pole switch.

With a double-pole switch, the 2 diodes are no longer necessary and it is possible to set the half-brightness intensity to different levels for front/side.
Edited by Silent Fly on 08-05-2009 08:21, 15 years ago
d4dved4dve
Posted 15 years ago
SF, Bloody brilliant! Why is this not offered as an option on all Status basses with LED's?

Best regards,

Dave R.
Stand and Deliver!
L
lscolman
Posted 15 years ago
Hi Silent,

That is some very nice design work.

I'll need to see how much room is in the hollowed out area in the Kingbass. I think the best plan for me would be a screw head on the surface of the plastic plate, which could be adjusted. There was something similar to this in the back of my old Hohner bass which was used to adjust the preamp.

Thanks for the diagrams. Much appreciated.

Cheers, Lee
Jaydee Roadie 2A Custom
strattybassstrattybass
Veteran Member
Posted 15 years ago

stenobass wrote:
Normally Rob already fitts a resistor in-line, but you could ask him to use a higher resistance value to dim the led brightness. I think he uses resistors with 3 values; min. 33 - 41 - max. 47.

hi thats what i had done on my bb today .
Kingbass Black beauty
Kingbass Black beauty para
GB rumour
line 6 helix
TC Electronic Effects
tc rh450 head
tc 2x10 cab
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator