Info on the 300 series pre-amp

Last updated on 10 years ago
kiwijetpilotkiwijetpilot
Posted 14 years ago
Hi folks,

Does anyone have, or know where I could get, info on the 300 series pre-amp board? Even just an idea of what each of the knobs control would be great.

Mine is a 302 board, manufactured in 2005 and was specified when the bass was built.

Cheers!
Status Stealth II 5-string headless w/blue fretboard leds and 300 series pre-amp
Steinberger XL2
Ashbory bass
SWR SM-400
Ashdown Superfly
Gallien-Krueger MB150E-112
Hartke 1x15" cab
Hartke 2x10", 1x5" cab
Gallein Krueger 1x15" cab
StianStian
Posted 14 years ago
Hi.

Here is an image of a 303 board. If you look at http://status-graphite.com/ - On-line shop - Active Circuits, the 300, 301, 302 and 303 all use the same pot and switch positions.

i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/Stian_1987/303.jpg

1. Master volume
2. Pickup balance
4. Bass cut/boost
5. Variable frequency midrange with boost/flat/cut switch (3)
6. Treble cut/boost

I think this is how it is. Someone will hopefully correct me if Im wrong.

Hope it helps.

Stian
Edited by Stian on 26-05-2010 09:19, 14 years ago
kiwijetpilotkiwijetpilot
Posted 14 years ago
Thanks very much for that.

I think you might have the pickup balance and volume pots round the wrong way though... ;)
Status Stealth II 5-string headless w/blue fretboard leds and 300 series pre-amp
Steinberger XL2
Ashbory bass
SWR SM-400
Ashdown Superfly
Gallien-Krueger MB150E-112
Hartke 1x15" cab
Hartke 2x10", 1x5" cab
Gallein Krueger 1x15" cab
StianStian
Posted 14 years ago
:D

Unlucky guess ;)

Fixed it.
OutToPlayJazzOutToPlayJazz
Veteran Member
Posted 14 years ago
Also, the treble & bass boost controls are back to front on the diagram. Sorry... ;)
Status S2-Classic, Enfield Lionheart Prototype, MusicMan Classic Sabre, Fender Classic Player Rascal
StianStian
Posted 14 years ago
Really?!

fixed that too.

Thats what I get for using my Emphaty, instead of a bass that actually has a 300-series board, i guess. My bad.

Thanks for clearing that up :)
Edited by Stian on 26-05-2010 09:21, 14 years ago
R
romoe
Posted 10 years ago
Hello everybody. Newbie here...and i have a request.
Is there any gentleman who can tell me the measurements (placement of the pots) of the 303 preamp?
i currently play an Energy 5 (lovely axe) and i want to upgrade the preamp.
I alredy have acquired an audere classic 4c, which sounds fine, but has 6 pots, and between acquiring new stacked pots and drilling the body of my energy, i prefer to do the second option, mostly because i plan to install the 303 preamp one day.
right now it's out of my budget.

So i was thinking i need to know the exact location of the pots (and mid switch) to drill correctly the 3 additional holes.

A hi-resolution pic would do the job as well.
Thank you!
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 10 years ago
You might also like to consider the East U-Retro. That has three stacked pots which would fit more easily if it is the three pot Energy you have. That preamp also has two switches which are flexible for positioning.

http://www.east-uk.com
R
romoe
Posted 10 years ago
Thanks bassbus, but the fact is i alredy got myself a nice 4-way preamp, and i don't have great cash to spend trying another one.
I am ok with the idea of drilling new holes on the body, but why not having them as in the proper status configuration? In the future i wish i am able to get the board 303, just to have a perfect brand-match between all of the instruments parts.
The space occupied by the 30x board would be the same as the 100, so it's alredy there.
A well-keeped 5 strings energy with the classic status 303 preamp would also make a great value altogether, should i be interested in selling later on.
R
romoe
Posted 10 years ago
Update: Having had recently the chance i picked up an used east u-retro 01.
I placed it in my energy and truly it's a really fine preamp.
I'm lacking some mids in my tone though, the parametric knob does its job but it has a just-a-little-too much wide "Q" for my taste. I'd like a more focused (or subtle) change in the sound.
Also i tried the Audere classic 4c that i alredy had and i didn't really liked it. very subtle bass boost, useless bass cut and huge increase in volume when boosting the lower mids, making it expendable for me.
I believe the pups on my energy are the single coil version (90's model with dummy coil) of the classic hyperactive design. I might soon get a new status pickup in the humbucker configuration for the bridge position alone, and i am confident that would help somehow.
I do believe every bass guitar is different and changing one part at a time in search of a specific tone can be unfruitful, even if the quality is top-notch.
I must point out that i'm not playing live at the moment and that i connect my instrument to 2-3 pedals and then directly in a power amp which drives a hi-fi ATS 2x10 cab.

I was still wondering if an original status active circuit was more fitted to give this instrument versatility and/or fullness.
At the same time i am curious about the working frequency of the treble control on status preamps, paramatrix excluded obviously.
Seems very glassy to me, i'd say around 7khz, but i couldn't find any specs on it
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 10 years ago
Well, there is one place you could definitely find all the answers you want. B)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator