Hi moo, advice on cleaning?

Last updated on 14 years ago
W
witterth
Posted 14 years ago
Hi moo! out to play jazz tells me you have some great, cleanup tips for status hardware(tuners etc) forgive me, can you repeat them? for me? W
enzoenzo
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago
:o:o:o

:D
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
'13 Stealth
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago
Tin of Brasso usually does the trick.
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago
Hey buddy. OK, are we talking about the old hardware (from the Series II's and Series 2000's)?

If so, Then I can give you a walkthrough!!
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
W
witterth
Posted 14 years ago
its a 1986/7 one, sounds great but starting to look a bit tatty!
thanks for any advice
Edited by witterth on 06-07-2010 21:49, 14 years ago
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 14 years ago
My favourite little trick for cleaning up basses that are looking a bit tired, to get rid of all the gunk off the body/neck/fretboard is T-cut car paintwork polish (used sparingly and carefully and tested on a small hidden area first). Not to be used often, but if you have a build-up where your hands go, etc, then this does the job beautifully - and of course, I hardly need say, make sure NO liquid goes anywhere near the pickups.

After I have done this, for regular gunk build-up that isn't heavy, I use (maybe once a year) a much lighter abrasive, like silvo. For a more regular clean, I just wipe over/polish with a soft, lint-free cloth once a week or so.

Hope this helps. I have brought many a bass that looked like it had seen better days back to life this way

Cheers and happy polishing.

Keith
Edited by special-boy on 07-07-2010 05:22, 14 years ago
T
travelingbassman
Posted 14 years ago
When i found my S2000(#340) it had apparently been in its case under a bed in south wales for the last 12 years and due to slight damp the frets were completely green(nickle separation) and heavily gunked up,i used the Brasso in the wadding type and it brought them up all as new with no damage to either frets or fretbored,top job to be fair!!!:)
Did you know that an over exposure to shit drummers can make you ill ,Sad
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago
Wheel acid seemed to work great on the Moo's Series 11 I borrowed, but now the hardware is getting really small....
T
travelingbassman
Posted 14 years ago
But on the plus side Todd if you keep cleaning it with that sh*t(daily) you will eventually be able to post the whole bass back to moo in an envelope ! thus saving on the postage eh:D
Did you know that an over exposure to shit drummers can make you ill ,Sad
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago
FOOLS!!

Right...

There are 2 aspects of cleaning an old Status 1/ Hardware & 2/ Body

1/ Hardware

You will need the following kit... Brasso (in liquid form or the soaked material form). A soft yellow cloth. An old toothbrush. Toothpaste. Kitchen paper. Nice bottle of wine!

Firstly take all the hardware off the bass. This is very easy (as long as you take the strings off first!!). Then have a drink. Then use the brasso and generously rub all the hardware. The only thing you have to be careful off is the 'Status' signature on the tuner plate (the black does come off sometimes). Next, have another drink. Then, after all the hardware is rubbed well and covered in Brasso, have another drink. Seriously, leave the hardware for a little while (maybe 15 minutes). Then take all the hardware to the kitchen (with your old toothbrush and the paste). individually take the hardware pieces and run them under a warm tap... Take the brush and put some paste on it. DON'T PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH (done that). Brush the hardware until all the Brasso is removed. Then using the kitchen paper, dry the water off the hardware. BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE HARDWARE WITH YOUR FINGERS! Do this for all the hardware (careful of that black Status logo). Once the stuff is dry, have another drink. Then you need to use a clean yellow cloth and start polishing. Shouldn't take too much and it should be looking lovely!! Then have another drink!

2/ Body

You will need the following... Soft yellow cloth. T-Cut. Bottle of nice wine.

Firstly, use the T-Cut with the cloth and rub the shit out of the entire bass. For a long time... Watch a nice movie and have another drink. Once this is done, leave it alone and watch the rest of the film. After a while... Polish the crap out of it until it's nice and shiny!

Put the hardware back on, stand back and look smug!

The only other thing you can do (which I have) is get a gloss lacquer spray and, before you put the hardware back on, carefully (following the instructions on the can) spray the hardware and it will save the 'shine' for a much longer time. NB You need to be very careful at this stage making sure you don't get any 'runs' in the lacquer because it is fairly permanent!

Any other questions??
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
Edited by moo on 07-07-2010 20:34, 14 years ago
evomanevoman
Posted 14 years ago

moo wrote:
. DON'T PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH (done that).

hence the obvious risk for combining bass polishing with lots of wine drinking (perhaps also evidence of lack of sleep, like me putting shaving cream in my hair when I am too tired to actually be awake in the morning).

But seriously, thanks for the info - I am particularly interested in hearing your approach to cleaning and (especially) then lacquering the hardware. I'm not sure how much work John Diggins is doing on my hardware as he refinishes my Jaydee, so I may have to follow your hardware cleaning approach when the bass is back home.
Edited by evoman on 08-07-2010 23:55, 14 years ago
D
dreambass
Posted 14 years ago
For hardware I use a product called NEVR-DULL "Magic Wadding Polish". Gentle, easy to use and works great. To bring back a painted or lacquered finish I use Maguiars Polishing Compound. With this you go very gentle, rub it in with your bare fingers and polish out with a clean, dry cotton cloth. For finishing I use Ken Smith Basses Polish. I've brought back some VERY tired looking basses to practically brand new. Ken
Ken Smith/Albany, NY, USA

David King C4 Custom 32"
Linc Luthier Custom Fretless 4
Euphonic Audio iAmp350C, (3)iAmp500/UK
Euphonic Audio IL210 (PROTOTYPE w/9 drivers), assorted VL & CxL Cabinets, Combos.
NAU Custom All Tube Hand-built 265 watt Stage Amp.
Stewart 2.1 Power Amp w/A.M.P SL-1 Preamp
Ashdown Superfly 500 w/Superfly 48 Cabinet
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago

travelingbassman wrote:
But on the plus side Todd if you keep cleaning it with that sh*t(daily) you will eventually be able to post the whole bass back to moo in an envelope ! thus saving on the postage eh:D

:D:D:D:D:D
W
witterth
Posted 14 years ago
Thanks, do you mean take the tuner "things" off completley? sounds scary!! do they go back eazy enough?
thanks for replies gents.
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago
yup... Rip them all off!!!

Like this only with your older bass

i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/MatthewAshenden/PA050007.jpg
W
witterth
Posted 14 years ago
Crikey!!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator