Strings that rests directly on the core?

Last updated on 13 years ago
S
Sen8
Posted 13 years ago
hi everyone,

I just bought an old Eclipse 5, sounding fantastic, but i need to change strings.

But i never saw this kind of strings : the strings got an unwounded part that rests directly on each saddle of the bridge...and the sadlles cut to rest the string got the same cut, so i can't put standard wounded strings to rest on it.

Anyone have an idea where i can find such strings, and how they are called?

Thanks for any info()
You do not have access to view attachments
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
These look like Superwound strings. Rotosound made them in the 80s but I don't know if they are still available. I would imagine you can use conventional strings, with the wind all the way to the ball end, no problem.
TotschTotsch
Posted 13 years ago
These are so called "taper wound" strings.
You can get them definetly from DR Strings or Spector.
DR Strings http://www.thomann.de/gb/dr_strings_t...0_tite.htm
Spector http://www.spectorbass.com/store/stor...hp?crn=228

There are not much String sets that offer tapered strings from low B to D (I think the G string is not tapered).

I had them on my Spector when it was new.
When I checked the DR's I had serious trouble to set the intonation on my Spector sixstring.
I really had no idea why...

Btw: Welcome to the addiction.:D

...another btw: of course you can put standard wounded strings on it. You just have to set the string hight and the intonation.
If it really makes unwanted sounds ;) you may work a little bit with a file on it. If you don't dare to do it - visit your luthier.
It's easy to do.
Edited by Totsch on 29-07-2011 22:39, 13 years ago
S
Sen8
Posted 13 years ago
Thank you very much to both of you for these tips.

And, yes i cleaned it and reset the intonation this morning, and damn, i'm addicted, that bass is so...natural and feels...i'm loss of words :D

I'll post pics of the bass on my Newcomer thread.
P
Pernax
Posted 13 years ago
Dean Markley SR2000's also taper at the end like that (except the G-string), just put a set on my Matrix 4 and had to raise the saddles to compensate for the taper. Great strings!

-P
S
Sen8
Posted 13 years ago
Thanks Pernax, well i love DR Strings and i saw they have 45-105-125 taper wound, so i'll try them first! ;)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator