Washburn Status S1000 Refinish Project

Last updated on 12 years ago
Posted 12 years ago
OK, so, having had the Washburn for sometime now and not ever being happy with the finish on it I've decided to take on my first refinish project.

It's currently finished in Trans red, but the new finish will be white. I'm pretty sure I'll be OK with the paint side of things having a background in the automotive refinishing/repair industry, but I may require help & advice on the technical (mainly wiring) element of the project.

I'll take some pics in it's current state and attempt tp post them, then try and keep them up to date as I go through the project.

Wish me luck!:|
S
sprocket
Posted 12 years ago
Good luck !
Posted 12 years ago
So, after putting off stripping the bass down due to my concern over the electronics side of things I bit the bullet today and stripped it down. Turned out to be easier than I thought. De-soldered the pups from the contacts on the back of them and everything else just unscrewed!

So now it's stripped and ready for repainting.

www.rossmay.co.uk/images/Status%20rebuild/PICT1591.JPG
S
sprocket
Posted 12 years ago
It s a nice project you have out there
Posted 12 years ago
Now I have a dilemma! After a LOT of sanding, mostly by hand, the wood was revealed. Looking at the front, do I go ahead with my original plan to refinish it in white, or just lacquer the thing as is?

If I do the latter (which I am very tempted to do) should I "black " the centre section and neck or just lacquer the whole thing?

Any opinions?

BTW, can anyone recommed where I might get a replica logo for the body?

www.rossmay.co.uk/images/Status%20rebuild/PICT1592.JPG
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 12 years ago
You could if you wanted add a status logo (transfer) to the bit between the neck pick up and neck? It really is a nice grain but I would be tempted to go with the original plan, these basses did look great in white. Tough decision, good luck deciding!
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 12 years ago
That looks fantastic as it is. I would just lacquer it as is. The contrast between the centre and outer woods looks good.

The subject of decals has just come up on BC. One suggestion was this http://www.guitardecals.co.uk/. There are lots of suppliers on ebay as well. They can all make up transfers to your requirements.
J
Jacko
Posted 12 years ago
GreAt job man
White headless will give it a great 80s look
The grain is very nice but I would go for may be a more out of this world modern color
Try to check out www.basslab.de for may be more ideas
Also Ritter Basses or www.marleaux.de
They all make amazing finishes
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 12 years ago
That wood grain actually looks decent. I would be tempted to stripe the center of the body as per original and put a light stain on the wings to bring out the grain. Quasi-Statii.....
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
sgh42sgh42
Posted 12 years ago
I agree, looks a lovely grain there. :)
*Basses*
GB Rumour (2010) . . . . : . . . . :

*Amplification*
Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 Head
Vanderkley 212MNT Cab

I am the greatest bass player in my house apart from my fish.
S
sprocket
Posted 12 years ago

Rowley Birkin QC wrote:
Now I have a dilemma! After a LOT of sanding, mostly by hand, the wood was revealed. Looking at the front, do I go ahead with my original plan to refinish it in white, or just lacquer the thing as is?

If I do the latter (which I am very tempted to do) should I "black " the centre section and neck or just lacquer the whole thing?

Any opinions?

BTW, can anyone recommed where I might get a replica logo for the body?

www.rossmay.co.uk/images/Status%20rebuild/PICT1592.JPG

A good graphics design place must be able to do your graphics Rowley Birkin Qc
Posted 12 years ago
Thanks for the decal link BassBus, had a look and they look pretty good. Will probably order from them if I decide to put one on.

Just gave the bottom half a few coats of wax this evening and may go down that route if I can build up a decent shine. Won't be able to decal it then though. The jury's still out on the final finish though, but I think I have ruled out the white..........or have I?:|
S
sprocket
Posted 12 years ago

Rowley Birkin QC wrote:
Thanks for the decal link BassBus, had a look and they look pretty good. Will probably order from them if I decide to put one on.

Just gave the bottom half a few coats of wax this evening and may go down that route if I can build up a decent shine. Won't be able to decal it then though. The jury's still out on the final finish though, but I think I have ruled out the white..........or have I?

A satin or clear finish would be cool , consedering the beauty of the woods
Posted 12 years ago
Yeah, it's already showing a nice satin sheen on the darker wood. Only polished by hand so far but might attach a polishing head to the drill and give it a good buff with that after a few more coats.
S
sprocket
Posted 12 years ago
Any update on this beast Rowley
Posted 12 years ago
Hi Sprocket,

not much to update at the moment except for getting the hardware back from the metal polisher's last week. Came up quite well..

www.rossmay.co.uk/images/Status%20rebuild/PICT1599.JPG

At the moment, having applied a couple of coats of lacquer to "seal" the grain, It's showing minute traces of the red stain from the original colour in the grain which is exceptionally difficult to get out. I'm going to have to take a view on this over the coming week, as, if I want to achieve a quality look, I may have to revert to my original plan of refinishing it it white, much as I would hate to hide the fantastic wood grain on the front.

:|
S
sprocket
Posted 12 years ago
Nice polish you did Rowley Birkin QC

Cool , keep it on buddy .
sgh42sgh42
Posted 12 years ago
Superb polish !
*Basses*
GB Rumour (2010) . . . . : . . . . :

*Amplification*
Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 Head
Vanderkley 212MNT Cab

I am the greatest bass player in my house apart from my fish.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator