American Noob here

Last updated on 11 years ago
P
PatrickRU92
Posted 11 years ago
Hello to all!

I am not yet a privileged Status owner but I am seriously considering joining the club. I'm currently salivating over the Wolstenholme model and have recently come into some previously undiscovered $$ which has me seriously thinking about purchasing it!

A bit about me, I'm an 43 year-old amateur from Los Angeles who has been playing bass for 30 years now. My gear is pretty sweet. I own a Rickenbacker 4003 and an American Fender Jazz Bass, both of which are gorgeous instruments to look at, play and listen to. i play through a GK Backline 350 head connected to a GK Backline 410 cabinet. Sounds great even though the acoustics in my home aren't exactly kick-ass!

As mentioned I am considering the new Status purchase but I have some concerns which prompted me to join this site to get some feedback from current/previous Status customers.

Living in the USA makes it somewhat of a quandary. I know from all the reviews (which i have been reading for days online now) that it seems as though everyone who owns a Status is in love with it. However, if I'm going to plunk down a serious load of cash for this instrument, it is hard for me to make that commitment without at least laying my hands on one of these beauties, and I don't have plans to visit to the UK any time soon.

Has anyone purchased one of these site unseen and just made a leap of faith? I can't imagine I won't like it, but what if I do? just try to sell right away? I would imagine Status doesn't offer refunds here, right?

Anyway I'm looking forward to anyone's feedback here!! Thanks and if all works out well hopefully i'll be posting a picture of my new instrument at some point in the semi-near future
me4bassme4bass
Veteran Member
Posted 11 years ago
You'll find the neck profile, a nice hybrid of your Ric and Jazz (perfect).
I'm close to receiving my second (site unseen) order, state side. They are superbly crafted instruments, and worth every bit of the investment.
The slight configuration differences in the Wolstemholme model will be right up your alley, being a jazz-ric guy.
Once the bass is in your home you'll wonder why you didn't order sooner.
B)
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 11 years ago
I agree with me4bass. There are people here that have ordered blind and I have only ever known one to not like it, well, actually I recall it was only a string spacing issue. There are never any quality control issues, Rob sets them up and checks them himself before they leave the factory. You will get absolutely a perfect instrument. They are ace, I have a lovely series 2 and have had a year off it, only just gone back to it and fallen in love all over agian. Obviously when handing 3000 bucks over you're going to be a bit worried but that's normal. If I was you I would go the extra mile and get a full flight case if it's USA bound. I bet if you searched around enough there would be a couple of status basses in LA, maybe not for sale but you might be able to try them. Just do it, as you say if it is not for you they are so sought after in the USA that you could easily sell it!
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 11 years ago
As Danny and Volney (Me4Bass) have said they are exceptional basses. I first tried one in 1987 and the one thing I never forgot was the neck profile. It just stuck in my mind. That flattish back to it fits my left hand perfectly.

Took me 21 years before I ordered one and now I have three. All different and all just as good as each other.
Fat RichFat Rich
Posted 11 years ago
I quite happily go between these:

i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/70sJazzes.jpg

and this:

i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/AllGraphite.jpg

despite the extra string!

I reckon you should be able to track down a reasonably up to date Status to try somewhere near you, the necks haven't really changed over the last 20 years, they pretty much feel like a good Jazz neck.

With wooden necks you occasionally get a bad one, graphite however is consistent so the only variable is the body woods. And with Rob setting up and checking each one you can be sure corners won't be cut.

The Chris Wolstenholme has an alder body with a graphite skin which gives it a slightly more traditional sound than the usual mahogany / walnut bodies. With the EQ flat mine has more bass and more top end than a Fender, but boosting the mids and using the neck pickup it does a pretty good job of sounding like a Precision, booting the mids and bass and using the bridge pickup sounds a bit like Jaco. It's not going to fool a Fender connoissieur but it's plenty good enough for most people.

Should be a good all round bass and compliment your other basses well.
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 11 years ago
Welcome aboard, although I highly recommend you don't buy a first Status bass as it leads to a complete re-thinking of your bass wardrobe!

Let the addiction begin.....
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
P
PatrickRU92
Posted 11 years ago
thanks for the replies and the humor gentlemen! Seems like the concensus is that i should "just do it". Your opinions are being given due consideration and once i get my hands on the $$ in a few months I'll figure it out. I'm one of those gun-shy people when it comes to making financial commitments!!

love that blond Fender with the maple neck and the inlays. I don't see too many like that one. i have the sunburst with rosewood fingerboard--not that I'm complaining!
chuckamok63chuckamok63
Posted 11 years ago
Just do it man, theses are the cream of the crop as far as basses come. I've owned over a dozen of them now and still regret selling the ones I got rid of. If you're ever in Chicago I'd be glad to give you a whirl on my basses but I bought my first sight unseen and never regretted it.
so much gear, so little time.
taz154btaz154b
Posted 11 years ago
I ordered my B2 untried,I was not disappointed, It did take a while for me to adapt to the longer scale, as I was used to the dmz5000's 32" scale, These are works or art, I only wish I had enough moola for another one. Or win the lottery and find a B1.
80 kramer dmz5000- present
2010 status B2 -present
Ashdown abm500 evo III
Ashdown APM 1000 power amp
ADA MB1
Line6 Basspodxt with shortboard
(2) hartke 410 hydrives
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator