Series 1 Nut replacement

Last updated on 11 years ago
S
Sadowskyman
Posted 11 years ago
Hi,
Looking at doing my own nut replacement - any suggestions for a newbie?
Pretty handy on the tools so not concerned with the operation but some tips would be appreciated.

Havent seen this type of "zero fret" fretboard before so interested to see if the the wear on the zero fret is normal?

Looks like I will have to replace the fret as well.

Looks like Rob is out of replacement nuts for this early model (according to the Status website) so I will have to use a generic.

i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj23/slaine01/StatusSeries1nut_zpse91de84f.jpg
Edited by Sadowskyman on 20-09-2013 01:20, 11 years ago
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 11 years ago
I would be tempted to replace the zero fret as well. You'll no doubt cut the nut to fit in with the zero fret and if you replace the zero later that will affect the slots in the nut which will be too low.

That will be a brass nut on your bass. I had the nut slots on my Electro2 widened last year to take a a wider guage of string. It took the luthier quite a bit of cutting to get it right. There's always bone.
me4bassme4bass
Veteran Member
Posted 11 years ago
I think the nut is mostly for lateral movement, so it may not need as tight of tolerances as a neck without a zero-fret.
I would replace the fret and see how it goes.
The bridge may end up being fine as is?
S
Sadowskyman
Posted 11 years ago
Thanks guys,
I will change the zero fret and see how it goes.
Fat RichFat Rich
Posted 11 years ago
As has been said it's only the fret that needs replacing.

I've always lifted the strings off the fret when I'm changing strings to stop this kind of wear happening. It's not a problem for headless basses because the string barely moves at the zero fret end, all the slack is taken up at the bridge end.

The only reason to change the string retainer behind the zero fret is if the strings rattle and buzz in it, I cured this by cutting a thin strip of that carpetty stuff they cover speaker cabinets with, laying it in the gap between the fret and the string retainer. ;)
S
Sadowskyman
Posted 11 years ago
Hi Fat,
Really noticing a lot of fret buzz across all of strings, (4 string
Mainly around the 7th fret.
So happy you guys are here :)
Edited by Sadowskyman on 21-09-2013 15:10, 11 years ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator