Balance of the Kingbass when worn low?

Last updated on 10 years ago
pmarazitipmaraziti
Posted 10 years ago
Hi All,

As i splitted ways with my old headed S2 , i am thinking of getting an other Status. Very likely still headless like my other S2, but most likely a 32"/16.5mm

My preferred choice would be a different shape than my current S2, i would love a Kingbass or a B3 (not yet designed).
I am not super strict regarding my playing position, but i am getting a bit concerned about some comments read here about the Kingbass. I do not slap much and defintely the very high position that Mark King uses is a no go. I do not wear my bass super low either, more at mid to low position, with my plucking hands more or less at the height of my waist.

I could not find much on Youtube and not sure if i can play a kingbass easily around here. Any owner of the Kingbass that plays it more or less like i would?

Thanks so much in advance!

Status KingBass Paramatrix
Edited by pmaraziti on 29-12-2013 19:58, 10 years ago
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 10 years ago
The King Bass is DEFINITELY not for you.

Your style is much better suited to the shape and balance of the Series II in my opinion!

And remember... I've only been wrong twice in my entire life. Once for 17 years and the second time for 30 years!
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
pmarazitipmaraziti
Posted 10 years ago
Thanks André! but... it's difficult to read whether you're sarcastic or not! I sense you really reccommend against.

Yet, while the simplest would be to order a S2 with 16.5 and 32" (which is possible), I'd like to explore other body shapes before going for it.
To put it in images, would the Kingbass still be nicely playable if worn like Mr Clarke does for his Alembic? I do not wear as low as some rockers or metal players do, but instead more like in the pictures and I hoped that being the shapes similar , it might work. Yes, a visit to Colchester might solve the doubt but not easy these days...

www.mendelsonarchives.com/Photos/stanley-clarke.jpg

www.yoshis.com/userfiles/concerts/big/StanleyClarke.jpg

but I definitely NOT wear it like this gentleman
...I've taken this image from basscentral, apologies for using this image if this gentleman is on this board!

www.basscentral.com/basscombo/customers/New%20Folder/lemmy%20003_tn.jpg

moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 10 years ago
You must remember that Stanley Clarke is 7'6" so in reality that bass would be around your chin!!!

:D

In all seriousness, every person I know who plays the bass 'lower' doesn't get on with the King Bass but much prefers the Series II shape.

Only way to really know for sure is to try them both back to back!
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
pmarazitipmaraziti
Posted 10 years ago
You're right Andre....

I used to go to London for my job every other week. The frequency has lowered dramatically int he last months, but I must try to get there soon to "escape to Colchester" for a day and find the truth.

D
DrDAV
Posted 10 years ago
P,
I agree with moo, I've owned 5 Kingbasses, and wanted madly to love them, but the balance was not there.
My one S2(Washburn) was the right fit, balance wise. That drove me to the StealthII. NIRVANA with 4 strings!!!!
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 10 years ago

pmaraziti wrote:
You're right Andre.....

Don't call him André, it starts his nervous twitch. :D
andreandre
Admin
Posted 10 years ago
Hmmm is moo trying to be me again ? :D

I am a fervent S2000 supporter and mostly play my S2. Always had a problem with the balance of the Kingbass as well. A quick "hop" to Colchester would definitely settle that Paolo!
pmarazitipmaraziti
Posted 10 years ago
moo = andre?? Noooo sorry for the confusion!

pingvuiinipingvuiini
Posted 10 years ago
I have a love/hate thing going on with my King Bass. I really like the small compact body and resulting lighter weight. But because of the smaller body there is the balance/comfort issue. When standing the neck protrudes out a lot and after a while my deltoids start feeling it even with the 32" scale. When sitting the body is in an odd position too. I also have a S2 with 32" scale and its much more comfortable, but at the same time the bigger body feels so bulky in comparison to the KB. I'm really interested in the Stealth bass like DrDav and have asked Rob about the possibility of making a lefty, but no reply so far.
wal4stringwal4string
Posted 10 years ago
Is there not a member who lives near you so you can try it out? I have no issue standing or sitting playing my Kingbass,I also own an S2.
pmarazitipmaraziti
Posted 10 years ago

wal4string wrote:
Is there not a member who lives near you so you can try it out? I have no issue standing or sitting playing my Kingbass,I also own an S2.

That would be the easiest....

stenobassstenobass
Veteran Member
Posted 10 years ago

pmaraziti wrote:

wal4string wrote:

Hi Paolo,

presume you live in Italy...you are welcome to test both basses here, I am based in the nearness of Padova. I also have a KB MK-II 5er for you to try out...

Stefano
pmarazitipmaraziti
Posted 10 years ago
Thanks so much Stefano!

I'd love to. I am Italian but living in Madrid since seevral years, so it won't be easy to hop to Padova, but thank you again for the offer.
Also let me take the occasion to congratulate on the UEMMEPI work, only recently I listened to it , yeah...better late than never!

I'd be also happy to show you around in Madrid if you are in town and by the way...and Statii member is welcome to play my S2 if in town!

pmarazitipmaraziti
Posted 10 years ago
By the way Stefano, in the UEMMEPI video that you shot, you wear the bass more or less where I'd wear it. Do you experience with the KB Artist any ergonomic deficiency?

stenobass wrote:

pmaraziti wrote:

wal4string wrote:

Hi Paolo,

presume you live in Italy...you are welcome to test both basses here, I am based in the nearness of Padova. I also have a KB MK-II 5er for you to try out...

Stefano

H
hen barn
Posted 10 years ago
Hi
I play a kingbass in an 80 tribute band. It works for me!!! I have 2 strap locks in my strap so when I slap I put it high and when I play with fingers or plectrum I put it lower! (Like Stanley)
The sound works all round. I also use a boss gt10b to get the synths sounds which make it perfect!
The king bass can be a great all round bass! Ive had nearly every bass out there and I never thought I would find the "one". But I did!! So I now only by basses as my back bass !!
stenobassstenobass
Veteran Member
Posted 10 years ago

pmaraziti wrote:
By the way Stefano, in the UEMMEPI video that you shot, you wear the bass more or less where I'd wear it. Do you experience with the KB Artist any ergonomic deficiency?

stenobass wrote:

pmaraziti wrote:

wal4string wrote:

Hi Paolo,

Stefano

Hi Paolo,

thanks for your offer to show me Madrid, I will certainly come to visit Spain one day and will let you know! Also many thanks for the compliments for our video, it was really fun to make it.

To answer your question, I have never faced any ergonomic problems playing the different Status basses I own and I wear them all more or less in the same position. On the other hand, it is certainly a very personal thing and to be sure you should really test a KingBass to feel the ergonomic difference to an S2.
jrclarkBassjrclarkBass
Posted 10 years ago
[quote]moo wrote:
You must remember that Stanley Clarke is 7'6" so in reality that bass would be around your chin!!!

ROFL!!! ()
Jeff Clark

Status Paramatrix Black Beauty (Blue LEDS)
Steinberger XL-2A (Black with SS pickups)
Warwick Streamer Stage I (Flamed Maple)

TC Electronic RH750
TC Electronic RS210 (2)

Trace Elliot AH300 Series 6 (This would also work well as a small boat anchor) Smile
Hartke 410XL
Hartke 115XL
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator