How is the feel of a Status S2 5 string neck?

Last updated on 10 years ago
L
Landfal
Posted 10 years ago
I figured you guys are the experts, so this would be the place to ask. I am heavily considering ordering a headless S2 5 string. But Status basses are hard to come by, so I haven't had a chance to get the feel of the neck. I am a fan of more of a wide flat neck (ken Smith, Pedulla, Godin). I had a Warwick Corvette 5 and was not really thrilled with that neck (reminded me a bit of a baseball bat). Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chad
E
ejnarDK
Posted 10 years ago
Hard to say what's flat and what's round, but my series 2 is pretty flat, and yet, not even symetric. the upper part of the neck, where it goes from the back to the top almost feels square-ish, and the lower part of the neck is also flat, but curves forward, and gives the feel of being curved to the point of where it's like the's no bottom side of the neck.
But overall, I'd say the Series 2 is flat and I think S2 is build over the same template, but I'll leave that to the experts to comment further.
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 10 years ago
For me the current Status neck profile is the most comfortable neck I have played. It has a 16-17" radius fingerboard but also has an almost flat back to the neck. The wider the neck the flatter it is.

If you look over on the left of this page and click on "Buying a new bass FAQ" you'll find a lot of useful info.
pingvuiinipingvuiini
Posted 10 years ago
I had a Warwick Thumb and a later model Rickenbacker that definitely had that C profile neck with the 'baseball bat' feel that you describe and detest. The necks on my Status basses are much flatter and comfortable, but unfortunately I cannot compare them to Ken Smith, Pedulla or Godin necks.
pmarazitipmaraziti
Posted 10 years ago
Hi Landfal... and welcome to the forum. Where are you located? maybe there's some Statii member close by?

I am not able to make a direct comparison as requested (though I did play a couple of times a Ken Smith and a Pentabuzz) but in my life I definitely recall slimmer/flatter neck (e.g. a STR 6 strings) and I have the impression , but not certainty , that some are more rounded/fatter. Yet, I have to say that the Status neck is among the best if not the best I've tried comfort wise.

My experience started with a 2nd hand headed Status S2 5 strings.... that brought me to order a brand new S2 headless a year or so after. I'm about to sell my headed , my my headless stays. I was also concerned that the lack of the visual reference of the headstock might interfer with my playing, truth is that after 5 mins you forget about it.

well, if you're in Madrid , I offer you to test my headless. if not I can only suggest to check the FAQ space , ping Rob @ Status or pay a visit to the factory in Colchester.

I hope we can great a new Status player soon!

Status KingBass Paramatrix
L
Landfal
Posted 10 years ago
I am in Richmond Va (USA), not many Status basses to be found here. All of you guys have been very helpful (and prompt). My mind has been put to ease on the neck issue, sounds like I will be very happy with it. I'm pretty set on the headless version, but how much are you thinking of asking for your headed one?
pmarazitipmaraziti
Posted 10 years ago
Hi Landfal, it'll likely be in the 1500-1600 eur range. It's located in Madrid, Spain.

It will appear on classified (it's actually on consignment at Todobajos.com, but not yet visible in their webshop) soon.

Status KingBass Paramatrix
jrclarkBassjrclarkBass
Posted 10 years ago
Hey Landfal,

I am in NH and have a KingBass Paramatrix on the way, probably end of month or so. If you get up to these parts I'd let you try mine. I was even thinking of bring mine down to Berklee for a show 'off" and tell :)
Jeff Clark

Status Paramatrix Black Beauty (Blue LEDS)
Steinberger XL-2A (Black with SS pickups)
Warwick Streamer Stage I (Flamed Maple)

TC Electronic RH750
TC Electronic RS210 (2)

Trace Elliot AH300 Series 6 (This would also work well as a small boat anchor) Smile
Hartke 410XL
Hartke 115XL
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator