S2 Classic v Streamline

Last updated on 10 years ago
G
gazhowe
Posted 10 years ago
Hi folks

It's been a long time since I last posted on the forum however I would be very grateful for any comments or advice on the following please.

I currently own a S2 Classic (4 string, thru neck with blue side LED's) and am considering ordering a Streamline as a lighter weight backup/alternative bass. Could anyone advise on differences between these basses in terms of:

1. Weight.
2. Sound (assuming eq on bass is flat).
3. Playability.

I'm considering ordering a Streamline with white side LED's. Are white LED's overly bright? (i appreciate that this is subjective)

Regards

Gaz
Basses
Status Series 2 Classic
Status Streamline
Musicman Stingray Classic
Musicman Stingray

Amplification
MarkBass 'MoMark'
Bergantino AE410
Edited by gazhowe on 03-03-2014 01:16, 10 years ago
enzoenzo
Fusioneer
Posted 10 years ago
I never tried a Streamline but I know the S2 Classic. As far as weight there is no doubt the Streamline is lighter. People that tried both was very impressed with the Streamline at the point to consider it a valid substitute for the S2, but it's always subjective, of course.
Playability, I can tell you that the Streamline has to be played always with a strap on even when sitting and somebody has complained about the extended, attached top horn that doesn't allow the left thumb to 'hug' the neck above the 12th fret. These are second hand informations, take everything with a grain of salt as, like I said, I didn't own one but I've only read about it.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
'13 Stealth
G
gazhowe
Posted 10 years ago
Thanks for the info Enzo, much appreciated.:)
Basses
Status Series 2 Classic
Status Streamline
Musicman Stingray

Amplification
MarkBass 'MoMark'
Bergantino AE410
Fat RichFat Rich
Posted 10 years ago
I don't have a Streamline (played a couple quickly) but the construction, feel and sound is very similar to my Stealths. In my opinion:

Weight - My S2 Classics vary from reasonably light (for a wooden bass) to pretty heavy, don't know what yours is like. The Stealths and Streamlines are a fair bit lighter and because the construction is all graphite there's no variation.

Sound - The Stealth / Streamline has a slightly hollow sound acoustically, but very strong, clear bass frequencies and unmatched top end clarity. Plugged in they sound huge, they also respond really well to where and how you pluck the string giving you lots of different tones without even touching the controls. They also seem to take on the character of the strings more than the S2. The S2 has more tone and character of it's own, it's a more polite, traditional bass sound but with that extra Status note definition.

Playabilty - feels exactly like any other Status, same neck dimensions, pickup positions etc.

I don't know anything about LEDs - sorry!

The Streamline / Stealth will probably sound different to any other bass you've played, it has a huge sound but maybe lacking a little in character. However it takes on the character of the strings more than any bass I've ever played and you won't get such a big sound out of any other small bass. I thought my Stealths would replace my S2 Classics but I still play both, they're both great, just different.

Hope that makes some sense!
G
gazhowe
Posted 10 years ago
Thanks for the comments Rich. I posted originally out of interest, having already pretty much decided that I would order one. I've just placed my order today for a Streamline 4 with the following spec:

Natural (no tint)
Black hardware, including Schaller strap buttons
No markers on fretboard
Fret markers on side of neck with white side LED's

Only 16 weeks (estimated) to wait....not that I'm counting! :)
Basses
Status Series 2 Classic
Status Streamline
Musicman Stingray

Amplification
MarkBass 'MoMark'
Bergantino AE410
A
azzyrazzy
Posted 10 years ago
Nice! Standard 34"? Did you consider any colours? I chose blue tint on mine (on order) :)
Raimond from Norway
On order: Streamline 4
G
gazhowe
Posted 10 years ago
Standard 34" for me too. I didn't consider a tint but did consider a solid colour (white) for a while. I spoke to Dawn about it but decided it was probably going to add too much to the cost. Your Streamline spec looks cool btw! :)
Basses
Status Series 2 Classic
Status Streamline
Musicman Stingray

Amplification
MarkBass 'MoMark'
Bergantino AE410
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator