32" scale : string height?

Last updated on 10 years ago
T
tightLow
Posted 10 years ago
Hello:
I'm deciding which model of Streamline fretless to order, and I'm wondering if the 32" scale option might force me to run the strings higher than I prefer.
I set up my fretless basses with what most wold consider extremely low action (G string around .040" to .045" at the 12th position.
Since overuse irritation is always a possible issue for me, teaching for a living and then playing, I must always keep my string height as low as possible (hence my moniker here).

Does the 32" scale on a status allow for really low string action?
(Considering I use .089 to .043 Thomastik Jazz rounds, and/ or will use Rob's super light strings). I wonder if they'd be too floppy on a 32" scale...
It's a most critical issue for me, so anyone with experience with this question, I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 10 years ago
I don't have any experience with the 32" scale on status basses but have two fretless 34" basses. The nut on my basses is more of a guide than part of the height adjustment. The strings actually touch the end of the fingerboard just past the nut and rise from there. You can then adjust the action as low as you want. I don't see why it should be any different on the 32".

As for string tension. I use Thomastik jazz flats on a 33" scale ACG Finn. I notice no difference in tension from the 34" scale basses i use the same strings on. The 32" is the playing scale. The full tension length is 34" when you take into account the bendwell.

As always Rob will be able to advise on anything.
enzoenzo
Fusioneer
Posted 10 years ago
I owned an Empathy Matrix, so an headed one which are 34,75 scale and it had the action so low that it was almost unreal. No truss rod on those.
Then I had over the years a few 34" headless (also no truss rod) and a Kingbass 32" w/ bendwell (with truss rod) that suppose to give you 34" tension. Well, call it a coincidence but the KB had the higher action out of all my Statii, no matter how I worked out the saddles or the rod.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
'13 Stealth
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator