Another string thread!

Last updated on 10 years ago
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 10 years ago
Got pissed of looking for a basic thread on strings, god there are sooo many! So anyway, here's another.
I, like a lot of you, have been using Status Hotwires for ages, a reasonable string at a great price. I am lucky enough to now have an endorsement (the band has, not me) and we have started using dovetail strings, I have to say they ain't bad at all! However, I just got given a set of Ernie Ball Cobalt strings and they are a serious string, very deep and clear, a very 'tight' string too, the tension feels great, a slappers delight but if your a (cough) 'bender' maybe not for you! They are big money though, upper end of £30. I'll see how long they last. So as a direct comparison I have loaded 3 5 string basses with 3 brand new sets, 1 Dovetail, 1 Status and 1 Cobalt EB's. I will try and play them the same amount to see who does best in this here shoot out!!
W
Wonky
Posted 10 years ago
What's the verdict on the cobalts?
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 10 years ago
So far I am liking them a lot, compared to other standard slinky's they are a huge improvement, already my hot wires are dulling off a bit but remember these are twice the price so I was hoping to be impressed!
I did have some warwick black labels that lasted a similar distance once. I must admit I have never tried the 'premium' Hotwires only ever the standard ones. The Dovetails are 'ok' but to be fair they ain't ever going to change my mind, I just use them as they are an endorsed product that's very economical. The Cobalts still feel like new too which I have to say I'm not keen on as they feel a bit rough but like I say they 'sound' very impressive. A lot of clarity and output is how they advertise them and I have to agree!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator