King bass artist - control knobs ?

Last updated on 10 years ago
W
Wonky
Posted 10 years ago
Hi everyone

I have a really dumb question..... Sorry....

I've recently bought a king bass artist series....
Can anyone point me in the right direction for perhaps a sales brochure picture which illustrates what the control knobs and the toggle switch is.......

The volume ones obvious , and I guess the toggle switch flicks between bridge , bridge and neck, and neck pick up.....

But the other knobs aren't as obvious to me, I'm guessing they're bass, treble , boost, and blend ?

I just fiddle around untill I get the tone i need, but I'd have a better understanding if i knew what I was fiddling with...

Stupid i know, I have a great boosted slap sound sorted but I'm fiddling all the time to try and get a jazz bass sound?

Sorry, it may be obvious to most......:)
enzoenzo
Fusioneer
Posted 10 years ago
The 2 bigger knobs are Vol and pickups pan. The 3 smaller ones are bass, mids, treble. The 3 positions toggle is a mids cut/boost. If you have LEDs there should be a bigger toggle, if not that's it.
I'm pretty sure it's correct from memory of my old Kingbass. Great funk machine, congrats and enjoy!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
'13 Stealth
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 10 years ago
The middle small knob is a frequency sweep for the mids. The switch in the middle is mid flat and switching it either way from there cuts and boosts the frequency you select with the knob. otherwise as Enzo said.
W
Wonky
Posted 10 years ago
Thanks guys....
That explains it.... Its hard to avoid the temptation to just select the boosted signal and use the middle knob to alter the sound......? That doesn't quite give me the range of tones I'd like, but the other two knobs and the flat and cut toggle seem gutless?

Then again, I've set my amp up to the boosted level so any cut will sound pants..... I'll try setting amp up to the flat / u boosted range and work from there...?

It's like being able to drive a car and then jumping in the pilots chair on a rocket ship.

If i explain.... I've had an American standard fender jazz bass for quite a while......
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 10 years ago
To be fair up until the Paramatrix there wasn't a better board, the electronics will give you most sounds you are looking for within reason, certainly any fender type sounds. Maybe not an Alembic, if you want that sound, go get one!

The strings play a huge part to the Status sound in my opinion and being as they are quite toppy basses anyway I like to let them live a little and let them dull down a bit, unless I am recording, always stick a fresh set on for that. Not such an issue now I have a string endorsement!
W
Wonky
Posted 10 years ago
Nice :)

I'm sure its capable of plenty of different tones, I need to have a good fiddle :)

The jazz bass was idiot proof, a volume knob for each pickup and a tone pot.

I guess its that jacco farty jazz "parp" I'm trying to get but struggling to find ...
Its in there somewhere... I think I've just made the wrong assumptions about each of the controls, what they are and what they do... Hence the combinations I've meddled with not quite giving me the sounds I had expected.....

As I said, I thought the toggle was a pick up selector switch.... WRONG
W
Wonky
Posted 10 years ago
I can't seem to get away from the setting i use, I'm sure the right combination of pots dialled in will give me any tone i like...
I have the toggle in boosted position and use a combination of the pick up pan (large top knob) and the mid frequency sweep (middle small knob) to get me the tones i think I need....
As I say, I'm hung up on that level of control and fear the parameters that sets me limit the tonal range massively...?

I've never used a bass with so much gadgetry, its a bit disheartening as I seem to spend a long time fiddling for sound.

The settings I have detailed above pretty much negate the use of the other two small knobs?

What typical settings do you use on your king bass?

My previous bass, a fender jazz, was just plug and play...... If I can't get to grips soon I may go back.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator