Dead string?

Last updated on 10 years ago
W
Wonky
Posted 10 years ago
Can anyone offer any advice?
I have a kingbass (4st. artist) ..... I've noticed that my d sting just seems dead and doesn't have the same level of brightness as the other strings.... Yes,I've changed the strings, they are status hot wires .... new strings didn't cure it ?

It just seems dull, doesn't have the same level of clarity or sustain... Just like a dead string?

Any ideas? I'm not one for meddling with saddle heights or intonation, but I think both are fine as they are.....

I'm assuming hot wires are a good quality string, I've never had a need for double ball end before, used to use elites many moons ago :)

Thanks guys
And sorry, I'm not used to this bass yet, it's like something nasa built compared to my old f. jazz bass. :) it never needed anything doing to it, that thing was like an old pair of undies , wasn't out to look flash or impress and just got comfier and comfier ;)
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 10 years ago
Hmm, regarding the Fender, yes, get them out the case, don't even tune it, play it, put it away Lol. Status are more like a high powered sports car that do need a bit of tinkering but once you get them set up right they are solid and reliable.
Unfortunately you might have to get into fiddling string heights etc unless you take it somewhere trustworthy for a set up. Is the nut OK? Is their any fret buzz on the D at all? Are you happy with the pick up height? There are lots of variables, no reason for the D string to sound dead if the others are ok? Hotwires are a quality string but it is possible to have got a duff, ask Dawn to send out just a D string.
B
bassdan
Posted 10 years ago
just a suggestion? Try eack pickup on its own in case one is faulty? good luck
K
kidcharlemagne
Posted 10 years ago
Couple of possibilities: first, you're using double ball ends, right? I had an issue with using single ball strings in a headless bass - in theory it should be ok, but in practice, what often happens is that the core slips inside the winding, and you get a dull sounding string. D strings seem particularly prone to this, for some reason.
More likely though, assuming you are using double ball ends: try loosening the string off and make sure that it isn't twisted. If it is, as you loosen it, the ball will twist back to its natural alignment. Just tighten it up again once the string is relaxed and the balls don't feel like they want to rotate in the groove, and it should be ok.
W
Wonky
Posted 10 years ago
You were right!
As I'd restrung the bass, being a little OCD over things , I did twist the strings to ensure the balls all sat the same way in their cut outs....

I slackened it of and allowed it to sit in its own natural orientation and it cured the issue. !!!

Guess it must twist he core and effect the way it vibrates?
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator