What a mess ...

Last updated on 9 years ago
D
dasto
Posted 9 years ago
Thanks for your comment. Don't get me wrong, I don't complain about the price I paied for it . I was just not shure if it's really worth to invest that much money to fix it, in comparison to the seconad hand basses which may be found on the market for a comparable price and with original electronics.
May precaution was in fact confirmed since I just receivend an email from Rob in which he made me understand, that it would be very difficult or even impossible to find all the missing little screws or damaged parts.
Honestly, it doesn't play to bad, what bothers me most is the bow in the neck. Even this bow isn't to bad, but I have to admit, that I'm a little spoiled since on all my other basses the strings are set the lowest possible and it bothers me if I can't setup a bass hte way I want it.
For the time being I'm in contact with daveski who is interested in the bass if he doesn't want it, I will pm you.
Thanks
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago
Very late on this thread... Sorry.

So, to recap... You paid €300 for this bass? If that's the case then that's pretty much right for a 'non player'.

This bass is really for a Status collector to 'clean up' and maybe respray and have as 'Wall candy'.

If it's a bass you want to play then I understand that's no good to you. I would take it off your hands as I'm sure a few others on this forum will.

So worst case, you're not out of pocket!

Good luck!
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
D
daveski
Veteran Member
Posted 9 years ago
Now that really would be dangerous!
enzoenzo
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago

dasto wrote:

Where do you live?

Given the amount of Statii he owned and owns, probably 2 numbers down Status factory :D
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
'13 Stealth
D
dasto
Posted 9 years ago
Let me sleep over it. I'll let you know tomorrow! If I would sell it then for the price I paid plus shipping fees.
//www.ebay.de/itm/271816407576?_trksi...EBIDX%3AIT

Where do you live?
D
daveski
Veteran Member
Posted 9 years ago
I mean I'm interested in buying it in its current state if you don't fancy doing up yourself!
D
dasto
Posted 9 years ago
I don't think that it is an amber tint, I go for the option old an discoloured. I put some more pictures which you can consult on the link I've posted before.
Could you please explain what you mean by this: "I'm still interested if you're not despite its state." I don't understand what you mean.
Thanks for your interest.
D
daveski
Veteran Member
Posted 9 years ago
Gawd blimey, that is one well abused bass! Needs the lot doesn't it, refret, re spray, hardware, electronics.

Now I can't quite tell is it very old discoloured lacquer or has it the yellow/Amber tint?

Can you post a few pics of the whole bass back and front so we can assess it as a whole. I'm still interested if you're not despite its state.
D
dasto
Posted 9 years ago
The link I posted in my first post should work if you copy and paste it in the browser.
I try with the following if it's clickable...
[url]http://s185.photobucket.com/user...ies%202000
I contacted Rob to ask about the additional costs for the spare parts.
Don't underestimate your contributions, it helps me a lot to discuss the matter with other people who are more experienced that I am with these kind ob basses!!
D
daveski
Veteran Member
Posted 9 years ago
Can you post a clickable link to the pics? The year is probably 85/86. A new circuit is quite cheap, they are on the Status Graphite website. As far as new hardware for very old basses is concerned I don't think they even sell it. You will have to ask Status.

Many where made with the GMT pups but I have a feeling only the first 4 S2000s which were graphite weaves one in natural, Amber, Red and Blue had the exposed pole GMTs.

It could still be worth getting refurbished but you really need to get a costing from Rob. If not I may buy it off you as is if you wanna sell it ok. Hope this helps a bit.

Don't forget the piccies!
D
dasto
Posted 9 years ago
Please don't forget, Rob said for the refurbish of the neck and the body only it would cost 750 GBP that together with what I paid for it plus shipping will already cost 1000 GBP. What will come on top of that will be probably a new string holder and a brigde or parts of it screws and it has no original electronics which is also to consider when you compare it with the price of a nice siecond hand. Or am I wrong?
BTW can anyone estimate the year it was built? I got GMT pickups but no exposed pole pieces, I couldn't find a similar model in the brochures of the database.
D
daveski
Veteran Member
Posted 9 years ago
Ah ha Enzo, great minds think alike!
enzoenzo
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago
Wait a second…S2000 #157 should be worth, if in good state, at least GBP1000 (ca 1400 Euro). What's wrong in fixing it properly, if you can afford it?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
'13 Stealth
D
daveski
Veteran Member
Posted 9 years ago
Tell you what, as you got the bass at that bargain price. If you have the funds to send it to Rob, it will come back A1. You will have spent about a £1000 which is what a really good example will cost you anyway. If it plays properly and you get Rob to spray it bright orange I will buy it off you when it's done ok. As that colour was going to be my next project when I can find another ropey example. Which is getting trickier as the years roll on!
D
dasto
Posted 9 years ago
Unfortunately the old models don't have a truss rod. Rob Green offered me to install a truss rod and repair the damages on the body and the neck for 750 GBP. And pleking would only make sense if the frets would not be so worn out...
But thanks for your advice and the link provided
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago
I would fill and respray the whole thing a solid colour, get the truss rod adjusted and send the bass away for PLEK fret leveling, I think you would at least have a very useable bass after that. It would be a shame to cover up the carbon graphite but there are solid colour versions out there!

http://www.plek.com/en_US/home/
D
dasto
Posted 9 years ago
Thanks for your support. The problem with the bass is, that the neck has a bow ;-(. I'm not ready to give up right away, and I will probably try to repair it and for the fretboard I'm tempted to rip off the worn frets and to transform it to a fretless bass, by pouring resin on it and polish it until it's leveled again.
Another possibility is to give it away to a beginner for the 300 E. I learned to play bass with much worse instruments.....
E
ejnarDK
Posted 9 years ago
Well.... I would normally thow a witty comment your way, congratulate and wish you good luck with the restoration, but you seem to be a bit down with the whole deal, so I'll save that for later when you're on the other side of it and can look back and be proud of your effort.
I have no hands on experience on resin jobs, but I once dropped my bass on the heel and chipped of a pretty large chip of lacquer. I took it straight to the local guitar repair shop and after a few weeks in the shop owners care, I picked it up and no sign of the damage was to see. I asked him what he'd done, and he told me he'd repaired it by filling it slowly layer over layer a few days apart and in the end polished the surface till it matched the original alignment. And that's prolly the small contribution i can give you.
I hope you pick up the challenge and repair it your self. Take it apart, clean it up, reseach what resin/lacquer is used/available. Get to know the bass, fall in love with it and spend the time needed to get it back in top shape. Give it your best effort. I'm confident you'll end up with a bass you'll love even more than if you bought it straight of the rack.

I can't imagine the hurt that's been put on this poor instrument. Looks like it's been left in the rain for weeks, and then thrown from the stage into a puddle of mud.

If you don't think you're up for the challenge, put the poor thing to rest and accept your 300E loss. It's probably not cost effective to get it repaired profesionally.
It could turn out to be a good buy, but the price is that you have to spend time on it.

You could do a Photo diary of the proces if you choose to go ahead with it. I would love to see the progression.

Good luck.
DK.

Edit. Perhaps let a pro reset the fretboard and bars when you're done. That's supposed to be difficult from what I've been told.
Previous owner of a Series II 5 string. 24-5-89
Edited by ejnarDK on 22-04-2015 08:07, 9 years ago
D
dasto
Posted 9 years ago
Hi
I recently bought a Status Series 2000 on ebay. The description mentioned: "Status Bass, fiber. Have any hit and miss a screw. To restore. Very good sound." Only after when I bought it, I realised the described item condition:
Item condition: For parts or not working. So I was wondering what I will get. I contacted the seller and he send me another bunch of bad photos of which it was impossible to derive the condition of the bass. Aditionally he send me a short vdo-clip playing the bass. He told me that the neck is no more straight and for this I contacted Rob Green for an cost estimate to fix the neck and the different chips on the body. The estimated costs are for the body and the neck only around 750.-- GBP. He made me aware of the fact, that the extra screws and other small pieces would come on top of this estimate. When I finally got the bass at home, I was shocked about the condition of it. I don't know how one can treat an instrument like that to get it in such a bad shape.
Besides of that, it has no more the original electronics but an aguilar obp 2 and GMT pickups. The SN is 157 and it got a led on the body, so it's probably not the first serie of the S2000. I couldn't find any model with the GMT pickups, If somebody gets more information about those it would be welcome if you let me know.
Does anyone have any experience in fixing the reisin chips on the bass? I don't think it is worth to be send to Rob to refurbish (I paid 300 Euros and with the estimation of Rob I it will be above 1000.-- Euros all together) thats why I would like trie to attack the reparation as far it's feasable on my own.
Thanks for commenting
Greetings
Daniel

http://s185.photobucket.com/user/dastostoll/library/Status%20Series%202000

P.S. the pictures were taken after I cleaned it for more than an hour with WD40!!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator