5 string scale length?

Last updated on 9 years ago
H
Hogga
Posted 9 years ago
HI folks, I am seriously considering adding a 5 string S2 to my collection and have a question for all you 5 string users out there.

Which is the best scale length, 34" or 34" 3/4" ?

I have read so much about how a longer B string sounds better, but is that really true of such a well made bass, like a Status?

Rob has already confirmed that he can make me a headed 34 3/4" scale if required.

Thanks for your help.
Status S3 Headless (Movingui facing)
Status S2 Headed Thru neck (Walnut)
Status S1
Jaydee Supernatural Roadie IIA
Washburn/Status S1000
Warmoth Jazz (DIY)
Ibanez SR700
Ibanez AEB10E (Acoustic bass)
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago
Personally it's down to taste! I don't think it's that big a difference. I think the dingwalls do a 35" and a 36". I recently purchased a lovely Sandberg and tried a 34" and a 35" side by side, I really preferred the 34" as it just felt better. When you are spending big money I do suggest you try some out but a Status 5 string on a 34" is perfect, tight and clear so I wouldn't worry!
H
Hogga
Posted 9 years ago
Thanks for the info Danny. I have tried a few 5 string basses recently and the only one I real liked the sound of (from the limited choice available) was an Ibanez fan fret. That's what prompted me thinking about scale length. Decision not made yet, but I love the Status basses I already have and can see that another one with an extra string (34" ) is likely.
Status S3 Headless (Movingui facing)
Status S2 Headed Thru neck (Walnut)
Status S1
Jaydee Supernatural Roadie IIA
Washburn/Status S1000
Warmoth Jazz (DIY)
Ibanez SR700
Ibanez AEB10E (Acoustic bass)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator