Distortion, signal too hot ?

Last updated on 9 years ago
N
nuno1959
Posted 9 years ago
Hi guys

Bought this bass a while ago & I'm looking for advice regarding exchanging it's electronics since i stumbled on a couple of ''artifacts'' ( for lack of a better word.. ) that annoy me some :
Plugged into my Eden Nemesis RS410 combo EQ'ed flat, the blend pot roughly @ 60% bridge pu/40% neck pu, volume up & it's EQ 75% towards treble, when i play chords there is still a SLIGHT bass preponderance which can occasionally distort in a nasty way

One tune recorded on my Spector ReBop w/ a darker tone, full sounding but no distortion :

http://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack...-36324.php

One i just recorded w/ my Status, it has a ''clearer tone'' but notice how the chords distort !

http://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack...-45415.php

I checked all my levels, changed the battery &… it still happens although to a lesser extent & only on lower notes - could this be due to the Hyperactive pickups being ''too hot'' for either my combo, my TC Electronics Nova System FX, my SPL Crimson USB audio interface ?
I mean, i upgraded my Spector ReBop w/ EMG DC30 pickups & an EMG BQC preamp running at 18V, it's got a powerful signal yet doesn't do this AT ALL - except when both batteries start running low on juice

Are the electronics of this model ''known'' to drain batteries faster than usual ? I replaced mine the very day i got the bass &.. a month later it's already requiring a new battery & i NEVER leave my lead plugged in. I use Duracell Procell batteries..

Another question ( sorry.. ) i find this EQ a little limited & would rather have a bass & treble cut/boost in either 2 separate pots or a stacked one not to have to drill it's body - any Status boards that would fit this bass to replace the original one ? Or one i could fit by simply drilling one extra hole - the others lining up w/ the existing holes ? Or replacement preamps from other manufacturers known to work well w/ these pu's ?

Eventually, as long as the other pots would suit the original holes, i would even consider routing the body to install another preamp that would suit my ''requirements'' then buy a cover from Status or make one..

Thanks a lot for your patience, i apologise for so many questions but googling these over & over and not much came up

Cheers

Nuno
Sonic GrooveSonic Groove
Posted 9 years ago
Nuno

You haven't said what Status you have! Most Status boards have an attenuator pot to adjust the output signal strength. Most Eden amps have a clip light on the pre-amp so gain can be adjusted to suit.

Effects can be a problem my Line 6 POD HD500 has a pad switch, also when using overdrive I manipulate the Volume control on my Bass to get the sweet spot & to distort only when I want it to!

Brendan
N
nuno1959
Posted 9 years ago
Hi Brendan

You're right - sorry !!
English is not my native language & i was paying so much attention to describing the issue properly, i simply forgot !!:|

When i bought it, it was advertised as a Status S1 Classic Deluxe, googling this didn't exactly bring up tons of results ( nor the Hyperactive pickup denomination for that matter.. ) but there's a small rectangular sticker w/ what i assume is it's serial number : CE 06012712
Is there somewhere i can determine it's year/model with this ?

Here are some pics, preamp board included :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/1370682.../lightbox/ - just click the arrow to see the others please as there's a few photos...

First i thought about the attenuator pot thing, since i'm familiar w/ Spector TonePump preamps also carrying them but as far as i could tell, that's not the case...
Everything else has been thoroughly checked levels wise !!

Thank you

Nuno
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago
The serial number looks like it is June 2001. 06 = June, 01 the year.
Sonic GrooveSonic Groove
Posted 9 years ago
It is definitely a Series 1 Classic deluxe, I have the 6 string version. I've never seen the sparkle finish before (but it looks original) & yours seem to have Jazz bass knobs fitted at some point.

Mine would only distort (some inputs) if I put the tone fully up and played hard backing off the volume has always helped when needed. Never had trouble with my Eden amps setting gain correctly. The S1 Classic's board 100 doesn't have the gain pot. Would lowering the P/Us help?

There is some info on the S1 Classic here:

http://statii.com/status_cats/catalog...index.html

Root (scroll down to Series 1 Classic)
http://statii.com/status_cats/index.html

Brendan
N
nuno1959
Posted 9 years ago
Hi BB & Sonic

Thanks for chipping in, much appreciated !
Very cool the info on the bass's year & model, i was really curious..

This afternoon i decided to check out if there would be a wire or something out of place, maybe a cold solder joint, a contact allowing extra battery drain… something
While playing a little i noticed that wiggling both the blend & the vol pot would ''switch on & off'' the bridge pickup..

So i pulled the board out, checked it visually for cracks or so & started by refinishing the pot's solder points &… BINGO !! Plugged it in & no more distortion w/ a bit more level !
I lowered the pickups slightly, that also helped ''clarify'' the tone

I definitely hope this was it, now my combo sounds clear cut yet meaty, nicely defined as i like it cause really as you say Sonic, i also never had a problem with this Eden, i love it.. even w/ the Spector w/ it's hot gnarly signal

Am checking those links immediately thanks - i had done a couple of searches here but with not much results..
N
nuno1959
Posted 9 years ago
Oh, one last question :

On my wooden necked basses i remove the sheen of the finish for a smoother moving of my hand up & down the neck ( less friction ?.. )

On those i usually use a 3M paint preparation pad, is it safe to do the same on a carbon neck, any ideas ?

Since i never had one before i rather make sure before doing anything that could damage something..

Again many thanks !!

Nuno
rogertvrrogertvr
Posted 9 years ago
Hi Nuno,

On my Status basses I asked Rob Green to make the back of the necks satin finish for exactly the same reason as the one you describe.

I believe that the satin finish is sprayed-on from what Rob has told me in the past. I think it's an aerosol can but I'll stand to be corrected!

My advice would be to contact Rob and ask him the best way forward. I'm not sure if the satin finish is added on top of a normal finish or if some prepration needs to be done first.

I do know I love the satin finish on my Status basses!

Cheers,

Rog
Sonic GrooveSonic Groove
Posted 9 years ago
Glad you are making progress Nuno. Here is a picture of it's 6 string cousin!

B

freespace.virgin.net/brendan.meehan/new/images/s1ashred6.jpg
N
nuno1959
Posted 9 years ago
Hi RogerTVR & Sonic

Thanks guys !
Asking Rob sounds like a good idea but i hoped someone here had done it, thus avoiding disturbing the man for such a small thing but you are right ! :)
The 3M prep pads do the job but eventually through use it will all ''re-polish''…
That 6 string bass of yours is a beauty Sonic, i imagine what rumble it produces !!

Cheers guys !

Nuno
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator