H
Harry
Posted 8 years ago
Hello all

I am nearly at the point of being able to afford a Streamline 5-string
I'm a fairly basic player, mostly finger style rock/pop/jazz
Not much slap or chords or harmonics
And I'm not really sure what the frets past the twelfth one are for
Surely notes that high are the guitarists problem?
In fact, I am mostly happy if I hit the root note on the one ;-)

I have a wooden necked Energy 5
and an S1 Classic Deluxe 5 with a new neck built to the current profile by Rob because I trashed the truss rod adjuster on the original

I find the Energy far easier to play
Some of that is because the Energy is 34' and the S1 is 35" scale length
The necks measure almost identically from nut to 12th fret except that the Energy neck is approximately 1mm shallower front to back by the time you get past the 7th fret
The Energy has a satin wood finish while the S1 is high gloss carbon fibre

So here is the question;
Do I need to order the satin finish for the neck?
Or convince Rob to make me a neck that is slimmer front to back, if that is even possible with the moulds he has?
Or is the 34" scale what makes all the difference and I don't need to worry?

Love Harry xxx
S1 Deluxe 5-string Cherry Red (2000)
Energy 5-string Mahogany (1998) (being renovated)
AcousticImage Focus 2R
Gen 3 Barefaced Compact
T-E 715 combo
Tech21 Sans Amp Bass Driver
1600W PA
Tascam MB-PT1
H
Harry
Posted 8 years ago
And both basses are strung with Status round core, round wound strings:
135-100-075-055-040
Which are as close as I could make to a balanced set without resorting to K-Circle
I was pleasantly surprised by how much difference there was in playability
And a better balance in the sound between strings
And the intonation and action were far easier to set
H xxx
S1 Deluxe 5-string Cherry Red (2000)
Energy 5-string Mahogany (1998) (being renovated)
AcousticImage Focus 2R
Gen 3 Barefaced Compact
T-E 715 combo
Tech21 Sans Amp Bass Driver
1600W PA
Tascam MB-PT1
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago
Q1/ Satin neck - Since I fist ordered this as an option and started what can only be described as a CRAZE :D Many of the people I know who have ordered basses from Rob have asked for the satin neck. It's just nice and smooth especially when one gets sweaty!

Q2/ I'm pretty sure your neck options are very limited as there will be a 'mould' for the 5 string neck that can't really be changed. I know the 5 string is slightly slimmer than the 4 because it has the extra width for strength. Not 100% sure here

Q3/ Don't worry

There's a very high chance you will love the bass. A very slim chance you won't get on with it.

Good luck!!
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago
Satin, the rest....don't worry!
S
scowboy
Posted 8 years ago
I bought a Streamline 5, bone stock last year. I did not know about the satin option. I've played "sticky" necks before but the basic finish on the Streamline is not sticky.
J
jacare
Posted 8 years ago
I have a Streamline with the satin finish, and a S2 without it. The satin finish looks pretty good, if you like that kind of thing, but as far as the playability goes I don't notice the difference. Mine's black- if I were buying it again I'd go for a silver tint and no satin, I reckon.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator