Kingbass gain?

Last updated on 8 years ago
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 8 years ago

stev1em wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys, I was able to tweak the internal gain pot (it was max'd out) back to about 75% which has helped considerably.
The Input Gain level on my TecAmp directly interacts with the "Bass" and "Low Mid" so when the KB5 was plugged in, the sound went horribly sub-sonic and knocking back the Input Gain just made things worse, everything would just go to pot!
I dare not fiddle too much with the EQ on the amp mid set, cos when I'd switch back to the Series II that would then sound crap after all the amp settings had been twiddled!
I have now got a more than acceptable sound from the 5, and don't have to change the Input Gain on my amp between changes - "Brian Blessed" is kept in check by marginally cutting the Bass on the KB5 and "Frank Spencer" has left the building!
Still doesn't have the honk of the Series II but it does have a nice growl to it, I can live with that problem!

Cheers again chaps!

Glad to help. I hope you enjoy your KB a little more now :)
S
stev1em
Posted 8 years ago
Thanks for the advice guys, I was able to tweak the internal gain pot (it was max'd out) back to about 75% which has helped considerably.
The Input Gain level on my TecAmp directly interacts with the "Bass" and "Low Mid" so when the KB5 was plugged in, the sound went horribly sub-sonic and knocking back the Input Gain just made things worse, everything would just go to pot!
I dare not fiddle too much with the EQ on the amp mid set, cos when I'd switch back to the Series II that would then sound crap after all the amp settings had been twiddled!
I have now got a more than acceptable sound from the 5, and don't have to change the Input Gain on my amp between changes - "Brian Blessed" is kept in check by marginally cutting the Bass on the KB5 and "Frank Spencer" has left the building!
Still doesn't have the honk of the Series II but it does have a nice growl to it, I can live with that problem!

Cheers again chaps!
'84 Series II 4 #88
'03 King Bass Artist 5 #0603068
Trace Elliot AH250 vintage 80's head.
Trace Elliot 2x12H, 1x15 rig.
Tecamp Puma 350
Vanderkley MNT12 x 2
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago
Yep that's it, wind the trim pot down and dial back the bass pot a bit, dial in extra bass on your amp and off you go. I think the S2 is a better choice anyway!
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 8 years ago
Had a similar issue myself with my new Kingbass (as it was at the time) and my old amp. Just pop open the electronics cover on the back of the bass and inside on the PCA you will see a small trim pot. Just turn it down to suit the gain levels you require... Simples as a certain tv rodent might say :)
S
stev1em
Posted 8 years ago
Hi all,
can some one please help me out?
I have a lovely Mark 1 Kingbass Artist 5 which I am fast falling out with. I have owned the bass for a few years now having purchased it from Stefano (Stenobass), problem is that no matter what permutation of tone control, eq or pickup settings the damned thing just sounds pure shite.
My number one bass, Series II 4 has the absolute best array of tones available, and I just love it but then the Kingbass comes along and it's just like groan, fiddle, twiddle etc.
The main problem is that no matter what I do it sounds like a booooming great Brian Blessed of a bass, or in an attempt to deboom it, turns it into the bass equivalent of Frank Spencer!
Another string to its bow (excuse the pun!) is that it has atomic volume (and yes I do know that I can turn it down!) that sets the front end of my amp peaking away once set nicely for the "Old faithful II".
I just can't wait to get my 5 string stuff out of the way and get the "slippers" back on, if you know what I mean.
I think that I could possibly live with Brian or Frank to some extent if only I could some how tweak its gain internally - if any one in Status technoland knows if that is at all possible?
If not, then sadly as much as I love the look of the handsome beast I'm seriously considering a change..perhaps a Series II 5'er (hint, hint if anybody fancies a swapsy)?
'84 Series II 4 #88
'03 King Bass Artist 5 #0603068
Trace Elliot AH250 vintage 80's head.
Trace Elliot 2x12H, 1x15 rig.
Tecamp Puma 350
Vanderkley MNT12 x 2
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator