S2 string length issue

Last updated on 8 years ago
M
Morphgarth
Posted 8 years ago
Hi, I've just bought a fabulous 2010 S2 headless 5 string go complement my new CW signature.

It came, second hand, with half rounds on it. I prefer rounds. However Status are currently out of stock on Hot Wire double balls. I bought a set of Rotosound long scale double balls but they are literally around 3-4mm too short. There is just no way to fit them.

Can anyone say definitively what brand will fit until such time as Rob gets more stock in?

Many thanks.

Paul
Sonic GrooveSonic Groove
Posted 8 years ago
Hi Paul

Can you not use regular single ball strings secured by the allen bolts at the end of the head-stock? I thought all Status headless basses had this facility?

Strings Direct do Elites in DB and state "for Steinberger type basses" so not sure of the length

Interesting to note Roto's don't fit though I will be sure not to order any!!!

Brendan
M
Morphgarth
Posted 8 years ago
Hi Brendan, guess I could. Won't look as damn sexy though!!!!
Sonic GrooveSonic Groove
Posted 8 years ago
???? You cut them at the Head -- They look the same. Just the inconvenience of locking allen bolts & cutting strings that makes DB's more convenient (When Available!!!)

B
M
Morphgarth
Posted 8 years ago
I know Brendan. I was being flippant!!! Lol.
G
gazhowe
Posted 8 years ago

Sonic Groove wrote:
Strings Direct do Elites in DB and state "for Steinberger type basses" so not sure of the length

I've just put a set of Elites DB on my S2 Classic 4 string so I would assume that a 5 string set of these would fit on a Status 5'er.

Regards

Gaz
Basses
Status Series 2 Classic
Status Streamline
Musicman Stingray Classic
Musicman Stingray

Amplification
MarkBass 'MoMark'
Bergantino AE410
Sonic GrooveSonic Groove
Posted 8 years ago

gazhowe wrote:

Sonic Groove wrote:

I've just put a set of Elites DB on my S2 Classic 4 string so I would assume that a 5 string set of these would fit on a Status 5'er.

Regards

Gaz

Hi Gaz

Thanks for the info. Did you use Hotwires before? If so how do they compare?

Thanks

Brendan
G
gazhowe
Posted 8 years ago
Hi Brendan

I've always used 40-100 gauge double ball Hotwires on my Status basses (Elixirs on others). I only bought the Elites due to the Hotwires being temporarily unavailable.

My initial impressions are that Elites feel fine but don't sound as bright as the Hotwires. I'd have no hesitation in buying them again but will almost certainly return to using Hotwires as soon as my preferred type are available again.

Regards

Gaz
Basses
Status Series 2 Classic
Status Streamline
Musicman Stingray Classic
Musicman Stingray

Amplification
MarkBass 'MoMark'
Bergantino AE410
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator