double ball end strings alternatives

Last updated on 7 years ago
P
phatbass30
Posted 7 years ago
hey guys, i'm really new with headless bass since i just got my S2 few days ago.

just wanna ask, what strings are you using? any alternative for the hotwires?

what is the scale length of the hotwire db strings? is it same as the steinberger?

many thanks!
Current Basses:
Sadowsky MV5 with Nordstrand pickups and preamp
Fender American Deluxe 5 with Nordstrand pickups and preamp
Yamaha TRB 5PII

YouTube.com/phatbass37
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 7 years ago
I have been trying out different strings on my Kingbass and S4000 recently

As an alternate to Hotwires (which are great in themselves), I would recommend either:

Elite DBE: http://www.basscentre.com/elites-dbe-series/elites-double-ball-end-iv.html

Nice and bright and maintain their tone for a good amount of time; and as they told me, apparently all Status basses used to be shipped with them on. I have used Elites for years on my headed basses.

Newtone Stings: https://www.newtonestrings.com/ (website is being updated at the moment so be warned):

I went for Diamond Bass Double Ball End. These are handmade to order so are a little pricey, but have a lovely fat tone and they are very responsive and friendly.

Both of these alternatives will fit your Status

Rotosound do a Swing Bass 66 Double ball, but gauge choice is limited and GHS do a Double Ball end set which I got from Thomann, but to be honest I have not tried them yet.

Its all down to personal choice in the end and how much spare money you have as none of them are particularly cheap :)
P
phatbass30
Posted 7 years ago

Garbo28 wrote:
I have been trying out different strings on my Kingbass and S4000 recently

As an alternate to Hotwires (which are great in themselves), I would recommend either:

Elite DBE: http://www.basscentre.com/elites-dbe-series/elites-double-ball-end-iv.html

Nice and bright and maintain their tone for a good amount of time; and as they told me, apparently all Status basses used to be shipped with them on. I have used Elites for years on my headed basses.

Newtone Stings: https://www.newtonestrings.com/ (website is being updated at the moment so be warned):

I went for Diamond Bass Double Ball End. These are handmade to order so are a little pricey, but have a lovely fat tone and they are very responsive and friendly.

Both of these alternatives will fit your Status

Rotosound do a Swing Bass 66 Double ball, but gauge choice is limited and GHS do a Double Ball end set which I got from Thomann, but to be honest I have not tried them yet.

Its all down to personal choice in the end and how much spare money you have as none of them are particularly cheap :)

thanks so much for the reply and for the infos. i will check those websites you gave me.

cheers
Current Basses:
Sadowsky MV5 with Nordstrand pickups and preamp
Fender American Deluxe 5 with Nordstrand pickups and preamp
Yamaha TRB 5PII

YouTube.com/phatbass37
Sonic GrooveSonic Groove
Posted 7 years ago
On My Kingbass I have started using regular Elixir (40 to 95) bolted down with the end bolts. Only takes seconds longer to restring.

B
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 7 years ago

Sonic Groove wrote:
On My Kingbass I have started using regular Elixir (40 to 95) bolted down with the end bolts. Only takes seconds longer to restring.

B

What do the Elixir strings sound / feel like? I did approach them about whether they might consider doing some double ball ends but they said the market wasn't there for them. It was a pity as I have heard they are good strings.
Sonic GrooveSonic Groove
Posted 7 years ago

Garbo28 wrote:

What do the Elixir strings sound / feel like? I did approach them about whether they might consider doing some double ball ends but they said the market wasn't there for them. It was a pity as I have heard they are good strings.

They sound great & last for months. The feel may take a little getting used to (may seem slippy at first) but well worth the effort.

Cost more at first but for Me last (bright sound) 10 times longer!! Wish I could find a gauge I could use on My 6 strings!!!

B
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 7 years ago

Sonic Groove wrote:

Garbo28 wrote:

They sound great & last for months. The feel may take a little getting used to (may seem slippy at first) but well worth the effort.

Cost more at first but for Me last (bright sound) 10 times longer!! Wish I could find a gauge I could use on My 6 strings!!!

B

Thanks for the heads up. I have always liked the convenience of double ball ends, so almost deliberately restricted myself to what was available. I might get myself a set, dig out the grub screws and try them out. Any recommendations on the best method to fit them (is it better to wind the tuners out fully then tension etc?)
Sonic GrooveSonic Groove
Posted 7 years ago
Yeah wind the tuners out, probably not fully or at least leave a little slack in the string then when You tune the ball-end goes back into the bridge.

The Elixir light set is 40, 60, 75, 95

B
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator