S2 5-string preamp swap out?

Last updated on 7 years ago
L
lowregisterhead
Posted 7 years ago
I'm looking for a bit of general guidance on whether a different preamp will change the sonic character of my Status S2 5-string thru-neck.

The bass is lovely to play, sits really nicely, and I love the look and general ergonomics of the instrument. However, regardless of how I fiddle with the eq, it has a high-mid bark that I can't seem to dial out, and getting a clear, glassy top end out if it seems to be beyond the capabilities of the current preamp (an 18v 302 board).

Is it worth fitting, for example, a John East Uni-Pre? (I've had several different East preamps and they've all been great)

All advice gratefully received!
JibudoJibudo
Posted 7 years ago
It's funny, sometimes i wonder the same but for the exact opposite reason. I miss the high mid/lower trebble bark of a jazz bass and don't care that much for the higher trebble stuff. And sometimes i think the low control is voiced to high.

But then i get out of my room and go play some gig, and the tone is just perfect. The lows on 100hz works really well, and the trebble gives me the snap to slap. As for the mids, normally i don't touch them, but in some weird rooms with anoiyng midrange resonances, i just boost them and then turn the frequency knob until i find the most annoying frequency, and then cut it.

I you really want to swap the preamp, do it, but i would experiment with the midrange control. Boost it, find the frequency and then cut it. But you will find it that the tone you are looking now, won't do it in some pub, the tone in the pub won't work in an arena, that won't work in a rehearsal.
In my experience we have in our Status a powerful eq tool that can make wonders.

Hope it helps somehow.
"Si se usa distorsión en este instrumento (bajo), el sonido se oye como la voz del diablo cuando está borracho."
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 7 years ago
Why not contact Rob and see if you can send your preamp in for a rework? Maybe ask him for advice, he might be able to offer a 302 board with some high end tweaks, straight swap out then??
L
lowregisterhead
Posted 7 years ago
Thanks for the suggestion, I may well do that.
L
lowregisterhead
Posted 7 years ago

Jibudo wrote:
It's funny, sometimes i wonder the same but for the exact opposite reason. I miss the high mid/lower trebble bark of a jazz bass and don't care that much for the higher trebble stuff. And sometimes i think the low control is voiced to high.

But then i get out of my room and go play some gig, and the tone is just perfect. The lows on 100hz works really well, and the trebble gives me the snap to slap. As for the mids, normally i don't touch them, but in some weird rooms with anoiyng midrange resonances, i just boost them and then turn the frequency knob until i find the most annoying frequency, and then cut it.

I you really want to swap the preamp, do it, but i would experiment with the midrange control. Boost it, find the frequency and then cut it. But you will find it that the tone you are looking now, won't do it in some pub, the tone in the pub won't work in an arena, that won't work in a rehearsal.
In my experience we have in our Status a powerful eq tool that can make wonders.

Hope it helps somehow.

Thanks for your input, I know these things are not an exact science. :-) I'll experiment a bit and report back!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator