Phenolic Fingerboard

Last updated on 3 years ago
me4bassme4bass
Veteran Member
Posted 3 years ago
The 3-band EQ/mid switch on my two fretless Status basses give me all the potential for Mwaaaah that I need.
D’adarrio Chrome flats are what I use on both the headed and headless Statii. They are brighter than most flats and vibrato up and down the neck is more comfortable with them as well.
Overall, sound great and are less destructive than roundwounds and string bending, if you are concerned.
W
whitewater
Posted 3 years ago
Second that.My Fretless is Not a Status, has an ebony fingerboard but again, you play to get the Sound you want. Wear and tear is normal. If your main goal is to avoid wear and tear, Not playing is most effective.
H
hairy tongue hairdo
Posted 3 years ago
Thanks Chris, I'm leaning more towards leaving everything alone. If it ever gets bad enough that the wear affects the notes, I'm sure there are some remedies that can fix it. Thanks again.
C
cecoulter
Posted 3 years ago
Hello,
I have a Status Fretless bass that has a graphite neck and phenolic board. I bought it new in 2008 and play it all the time. I play a lot of upright bass, so I have medium gauge round wound strings in the fretless. There are a few marks on the phenolic fingerboard but nothing to worry about and definitely much better than having a wood fingerboard.... I think phenolic fingerboards are the main reason to get a Status fretless.
I definitely would not coat the neck.
Hope this helps,
Chris
-Chris
2000 Status Eclipse Custom 5-String
2008 Status Smart Bass 5-String Fretless
1992 Status S-1 Bolt-on 5 String
1993 Yamaha TRB 5
1930's German Upright Bass
2012 NS Design CR4T Electric Upright Bass
H
hairy tongue hairdo
Posted 3 years ago
Hello, and thank you for your help. Has anyone epoxy coated their fretless Phenolic fingerboard, as an added layer of protection against the wear from using round wound strings? Interested in hearing any thoughts on the subject. I play with a fairly light touch and my vibrato is side to side, still the wear is beginning to show. A coating would protect the board but would also increase the high end, my Stealth is fully covered in that area. Don't want to change string gauges. Light sanding when the damage starts to affect the notes? Please inform me of the obvious and the not so obvious solutions to the future problem lieing in wait. Thanks again. Everyone please take care and stay safe. It's crazy out there.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator