Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: Status wooden neck vs graphite

Posted by RobJ on 06-03-2006 06:14

I'm considering purchasing a graphite neck (bolt on) for my Eclipse Artist, assuming Status has one, and was wondering if anyone has done a comparison between a Status wooden neck and the graphite one on the same model bass? I'm thinking the bass will really open up if I make this change. I do have a Modulus Q5 in my collection which nothing else I have comes close to touching in the area of clarity. On the other hand I've never heard the bass with anything but the graphite neck so I don't know how much of its sound can be attributed to the neck vs body, pickups, etc. All input appreciated of course. Smile Rob

Posted by status on 06-03-2006 07:34

Hopefully Andre can help you out with this one as he changed the neck on his Energy from wood to graphite.

Posted by andre on 06-03-2006 08:33

Hi Rob, well yes that is true, but it was not by choice simply the wooden neck was badly warped ... and I was really keen on getting my 5 string Energy back in shape! The neck change cost me roughly 700 US$. In terms of playability there is no doubt the graphite necks are incredible; soft, fast and are known for their stability. In terms of tone I don't really want to make any comments as I don't really hear the difference Wink

Posted by RobJ on 06-03-2006 09:50

Shock " don't really hear the difference " Shock Andre, Thanks for the response, though I have to say I'm a bit surprised. Hmmm... so far it doesn't appear a graphite replacement neck would buy me much (if anything). The neck on my bass is excellent really so I have no compelling reason to change it out. I suppose I should save the money towards a new Status down the road. Grin

Posted by MrWalker on 06-03-2006 19:41

RobJ wrote: Shock " don't really hear the difference " Shock Andre, Thanks for the response, though I have to say I'm a bit surprised. Hmmm... so far it doesn't appear a graphite replacement neck would buy me much (if anything). The neck on my bass is excellent really so I have no compelling reason to change it out. I suppose I should save the money towards a new Status down the road. Grin
I think this is the best idea. If your bass works fine the way it is, don't change it. You'll end up with using a lot of money, and still have only one (although great) instrument. If you save for a little while, you can add a second great instrument to your collection. Smile If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Wink

Posted by RobJ on 07-03-2006 06:11

Agreed, it's not like I have a shortage of basses, but I do have a space cleared in my vault for another Status. Grin Rob