Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: Kingbss 16.5mm string spacing

Posted by kidcharlemagne on 15-07-2008 07:27

Hi Retro, I'd definitely give it some serious thought. I own a Kingbass pretty much exactly like the one you've ordered - only difference is, it has red leds - I just thought the red picked up the hint of red in the rosewood, and the red in the Status logo, nicely! Anyway, I ordered mine with no bendwell: I've never, ever felt the need to bend open strings or harmonics, so I reckoned I could live without it - besides, I'd always used 34" scale basses before then (Jaydees and Stingrays). I also ordered it with 19m spacing, because that matched the Jaydees and Stingrays I was used to. Here's the thing, though. While I was waiting for my Status to arrive I picked up a couple more basses, namely a vintage Steinberger L2 (very narrow string spacing!) and an Alembic Stanley Clarke (narrow string spacing and 30.75" scale). I was amazed at the difference the narrow spacing and the short scale made to my playing - it just became effortless. They not only make it so much quicker to jump from string to string and from positition to position up the neck, but the shorter scale means there's less tension in the strings, which enables me to pull off some fancy high speed triplet tricks that I can't always manage on heavier tension strings. Anyway, my Kingbass arrived exactly as spec'ed, with long scale and wider spacing. And I do love it - the sound is fantastic, just what I wanted, and the finish, the woods and the styling are just gorgeous. I also realize I've got quite a special bass - I've seen and tried a number of very similar spec'ed Kingbasses, and none of them have quite the same sound or beautiful woods . . . So I certainly wouldn't get rid of it hastily - I'd have to be very careful about the bass I chose to replace it with. But I can't help wondering what my bass would have been like with the shorter scale and the narrower spacing. My advice is to try a few variations out if at all possible - can you drop in at Rob's workshop to try a couple out and see if the scale and spacing differences are enough to swing it for you? Alternatively, find a few members in your area who have basses you can compare. Good luck! K.