Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: Ok Lets keep this simple

Posted by Danny on 28-01-2011 04:47

Ok, should I get some Status P Bass pick ups to go with my Graphited P Bass or get Seymour Duncans vote yes for Status or no for SD's. I am looking for a fatter and broader sound is the simple reason, the current ones I have now decided are shit.Grin

Posted by pmaraziti on 28-01-2011 05:12

I think the Status would go more along with the vibe I have in mind...but I'm not sure if it' what you havein your mind as well.... Frown

Posted by Fat Rich on 28-01-2011 05:15

A lot of people on Basschat rave about wizard pickups.... http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass Just to confuse the issue!

Posted by Happy Jack on 28-01-2011 05:30

Insufficient data. Sorry if you've covered this in another thread somewhere, Danny, but what is this - a Status P bass or another P bass with a Status neck? I was very happy with the Status pickup in my Vintage PJ and it worked brilliantly with the punch from the graphite neck. I 've asked Rob to install a Status P-bass pickup (disguised as a soapbar) in my Streamline. But in my Bravewood ( http://tinypic.com/a/20gg7/3 ) the SD 1/4lb pickup is just spot-on, and in my Crinson ( http://tinypic.com/a/2jxip/3 ) the Bulldog pickup is equally right-sounding.

Posted by dreambass on 28-01-2011 10:57

Personally, I think the sound is in your fingers and brain. Palm muting, attack, release, etc.... to me, (all fingers and soul) are the most powerful insight. I've spent 40 years (OK, I'm just slow) trying to get it right. I'm not there yet but I truly hope that I never get it "right"! Your musical soul, whomever you are, isn't mine..... but it is as powerful as what came before you and I, if YOU paid attention! That's the beauty of what we do. It's absolutely endless and we carry it on. Please dream BIG!! Ken, the "old guy", in NY.

Posted by Danny on 28-01-2011 21:31

Thanks Rich, I had heard of them and they do clearly look competitive to the Status ones. In fact I don't know what the output is on the Status ones, I best drop Rob an email? They also offer Free P&P where as Status ends up at £12 for the pleasure, in these tough times it plays a factor unfortunately. Ken, your right, it is very much in the fingers. I really like the vintage sound in the current ones but there is just no 'meat' there so I must explore this avenue. Jack...another P bass with a Status neck.

Posted by Danny on 09-02-2011 08:21

Ok it's done! Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders! Dead easy fit, 2 wires and boy are they fat. Well pleased, got them for £40 delivered. I plan to gig the bass on Sunday in London, feel free to come along, free entry, 3pm at Spitafields, the Luxe basement bar.

Posted by Retroron on 09-02-2011 10:29

£40 ??? You can get a quarter pounder at Mcdonalds for £1.99, and that includes cheese!! Grin

Posted by ricstave on 09-02-2011 14:12

Retroron wrote: £40 ??? You can get a quarter pounder at Mcdonalds for £1.99, and that includes cheese!! Grin
...clogged arteries are also comped....