Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: String height off the body (not neck)

Posted by moo on 11-10-2011 06:30

iTodd wrote:

iEnzo wrote:

iMoo wrote: I'm just noting this day in my diary for all of mankind to know... This was the day Todd had NO opinion! Shock The horror!!
We must be getting close to the Maya predictions Frown
Hmmm, maybe I need to see a doctor.......there is a new Japanese doctor in my area, perhaps she can give me a proper examination.
"Is there a lawyer on the forum?"

Posted by moo on 11-10-2011 06:36

Wow... 7 - 0 so far. Would be great if we could get many more opinions before I let Rob know about it. Smile

Posted by daveski on 11-10-2011 07:57

Interesting one this, having owned an old SII and S2000 and Empathy i'm in agreement that the shorter distance is slightly more user friendly. Having said that the KBs and KB2 that i've owned i became quickly accustomed to and i think it may be more of a noticable difference if you are one of the lucky few that have owned both old and new at the same time, therefore switching around basses which i did albeit briefly.

Posted by Fat Rich on 12-10-2011 00:37

iMoo wrote: Unfortunately not many people can answer this question but the lucky ones who have a newer KB or S2 AND an older Series II or 2000 will know there is a big difference in the string height from the body. For me this really has an effect on my playing as my finger gets 'lost' a bit under the G string when slapping! So, anyone else have experience of this and prefer the 'old way'? Smile
I've got both and it makes no difference to me, I play the strings and not the gaps. Pfft I've never understood why people need ramps, I choose how much I dig in depending on what sound I'm after. For slapping, I tend to pull the strings more across the fingerboard than up so I don't need to get right under the string. I also thumb the strings across rather than into the fingerboard as it gives a fiercer tone.

Posted by moo on 12-10-2011 04:50

Fat Rich wrote:

iMoo wrote: Unfortunately not many people can answer this question but the lucky ones who have a newer KB or S2 AND an older Series II or 2000 will know there is a big difference in the string height from the body. For me this really has an effect on my playing as my finger gets 'lost' a bit under the G string when slapping! So, anyone else have experience of this and prefer the 'old way'? Smile
I've got both and it makes no difference to me, I play the strings and not the gaps. Pfft I've never understood why people need ramps, I choose how much I dig in depending on what sound I'm after. For slapping, I tend to pull the strings more across the fingerboard than up so I don't need to get right under the string. I also thumb the strings across rather than into the fingerboard as it gives a fiercer tone.
Very interesting to know... HEATHEN!!! Grin Grin All opinions are very important if I'm to give this to Rob!!

Posted by Fat Rich on 12-10-2011 05:06

iMoo wrote: Very interesting to know... HEATHEN!!! Grin Grin All opinions are very important if I'm to give this to Rob!!
Absolutely, and my opinion is "no opinion". Please make sure Rob takes note of that. Smile

Posted by moo on 12-10-2011 06:29

Fat Rich wrote:

iMoo wrote: Very interesting to know... HEATHEN!!! Grin Grin All opinions are very important if I'm to give this to Rob!!
Absolutely, and my opinion is "no opinion". Please make sure Rob takes note of that. Smile
Grin Grin Grin

Posted by marcus43 on 12-10-2011 08:25

I wonder how the 30th anniversary series 2 is going to be? Big or small distance between the body and strings?[mail][/mail]

Posted by moo on 12-10-2011 09:25

marcus43 wrote: I wonder how the 30th anniversary series 2 is going to be? Big or small distance between the body and strings?[mail][/mail]
Big at the show! I checked and my heart dropped! Sad Wink ** AMENDMENT *** I've just checked the pictures I took and I actually think the string height looks like the lower c10mm. Makes sense as the hardware was the old stuff! Good news. Just as soon as we see them Grin i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/MatthewAshenden/IMG_0079.jpg

Edited by moo on 13-10-2011 11:40

Posted by me4bass on 12-10-2011 12:23

So how much is this 4mm that you speak of? Cool

Posted by Angry-Canuck on 12-10-2011 12:25

Me4Bass wrote: So how much is this 4mm that you speak of? Cool
GrinGrinGrin

Posted by me4bass on 12-10-2011 13:06

Got it guys, never mind. i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab313/Me4Bass/fleas.jpg

Posted by moo on 12-10-2011 22:06

Me4Bass wrote: Got it guys, never mind. i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab313/Me4Bass/fleas.jpg
I'm sorry but I don't understand... Are we to glue them to the bottom of the string OR to the body under the string?? I get very annoyed when instructions aren't complete! Angry

Posted by enzo on 13-10-2011 01:02

No silly, it means STOP 'Bug'-ging Rob for these things!

Posted by moo on 13-10-2011 02:22

iEnzo wrote: No silly, it means STOP 'Bug'-ging Rob for these things!
hahahahaha When you have £17,000 worth or Status basses you get to bug a little bit... no?? Also, I think it's something that lots of people would go for! Certainly the reason I am suggesting it is that visitors here have agreed when they play both basses side by side! Smile

Posted by enzo on 13-10-2011 02:44

iMoo wrote:

iEnzo wrote: No silly, it means STOP 'Bug'-ging Rob for these things!
...I think it's something that lots of people would go for!
If there's an option I would too!

Posted by Angry-Canuck on 13-10-2011 03:33

I had my KB's action set up very low, lower than maybe most Series II's I have played. Having said that, the Series 11's give the perception of lower action as a result of that string gap to the body close to the fret board. In my opinion, although the gap doesn't affect my playing ( because I am a hack ), the overall feel and appearance of an instrument gains a higher quality presentation when the overall structure is more "flush". So, even though it has no true impact on my shit playing, I would definitely choose it as an option on a new order if available.Cool

Posted by me4bass on 13-10-2011 06:01

At times I like a gap that I can park a T-Rex into.....+ or - 4mm i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab313/Me4Bass/TRex.gif

Posted by moo on 13-10-2011 10:45

Me4Bass wrote: At times I like a gap that I can park a T-Rex into.....+ or - 4mm i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab313/Me4Bass/TRex.gif
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much time on your hands! Grin