Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: Streamline Fretless

Posted by pingvuiini on 07-11-2011 18:57

Me4Bass wrote: I think Flat wounds sound great, do to the added zing of the phenolic fingerboard. Ended up settling on Thomastik .096-.044's (headed 4-stringer). LUV-IT Smile
Agreed. The phenolic fingerboards with roundwounds are way too bright for me in most musical scenarios. I got a bulk pack of double ball flatwound Live Wires from Rob and also one set of the flatwound nylon strings and I am quite happy with them and consider them as my 'normal' strings now. The nylon string/phenolic fingerboard combination may sound and feel 'plasticky' to some people. I tried the nylon strings on my 32" scale KB and they feel and sound great except for the G string beyond the 24th fret where it gets kind of loose and noodly. Perhaps a thicker gauge string may offset this?? There is a notice on the package that says the nylon string output will be lower than the steel strings. I really enjoy how 'quiet' the flatwounds are when I move my hands up the neck, no 'finger scratch' sounds that is so characteristic of roundwounds. All my Statii are fretless and headless, so its really easy to switch between the different types of strings depending on the gig sitch and reuse them. The only glitch in this system is with my six string fretless. Rob said that the high C string is too thin to make as a nylon flatwound, so I am stuck with steel flatwounds for that particular bass. Eventually I want to give the half wounds a shot.

Edited by pingvuiini on 20-04-2024 00:24