Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: American Noob here

Posted by Fat Rich on 12-03-2013 05:49

I quite happily go between these: i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/70sJazzes.jpg and this: i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/AllGraphite.jpg despite the extra string! I reckon you should be able to track down a reasonably up to date Status to try somewhere near you, the necks haven't really changed over the last 20 years, they pretty much feel like a good Jazz neck. With wooden necks you occasionally get a bad one, graphite however is consistent so the only variable is the body woods. And with Rob setting up and checking each one you can be sure corners won't be cut. The Chris Wolstenholme has an alder body with a graphite skin which gives it a slightly more traditional sound than the usual mahogany / walnut bodies. With the EQ flat mine has more bass and more top end than a Fender, but boosting the mids and using the neck pickup it does a pretty good job of sounding like a Precision, booting the mids and bass and using the bridge pickup sounds a bit like Jaco. It's not going to fool a Fender connoissieur but it's plenty good enough for most people. Should be a good all round bass and compliment your other basses well.