Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: What a mess ...

Posted by ejnarDK on 22-04-2015 07:29

Well.... I would normally thow a witty comment your way, congratulate and wish you good luck with the restoration, but you seem to be a bit down with the whole deal, so I'll save that for later when you're on the other side of it and can look back and be proud of your effort. I have no hands on experience on resin jobs, but I once dropped my bass on the heel and chipped of a pretty large chip of lacquer. I took it straight to the local guitar repair shop and after a few weeks in the shop owners care, I picked it up and no sign of the damage was to see. I asked him what he'd done, and he told me he'd repaired it by filling it slowly layer over layer a few days apart and in the end polished the surface till it matched the original alignment. And that's prolly the small contribution i can give you. I hope you pick up the challenge and repair it your self. Take it apart, clean it up, reseach what resin/lacquer is used/available. Get to know the bass, fall in love with it and spend the time needed to get it back in top shape. Give it your best effort. I'm confident you'll end up with a bass you'll love even more than if you bought it straight of the rack. I can't imagine the hurt that's been put on this poor instrument. Looks like it's been left in the rain for weeks, and then thrown from the stage into a puddle of mud. If you don't think you're up for the challenge, put the poor thing to rest and accept your 300E loss. It's probably not cost effective to get it repaired profesionally. It could turn out to be a good buy, but the price is that you have to spend time on it. You could do a Photo diary of the proces if you choose to go ahead with it. I would love to see the progression. Good luck. DK. Edit. Perhaps let a pro reset the fretboard and bars when you're done. That's supposed to be difficult from what I've been told.

Edited by ejnarDK on 22-04-2015 08:07