Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: Kingbass gain?

Posted by stev1em on 14-03-2016 02:42

Hi all, can some one please help me out? I have a lovely Mark 1 Kingbass Artist 5 which I am fast falling out with. I have owned the bass for a few years now having purchased it from Stefano (Stenobass), problem is that no matter what permutation of tone control, eq or pickup settings the damned thing just sounds pure shite. My number one bass, Series II 4 has the absolute best array of tones available, and I just love it but then the Kingbass comes along and it's just like groan, fiddle, twiddle etc. The main problem is that no matter what I do it sounds like a booooming great Brian Blessed of a bass, or in an attempt to deboom it, turns it into the bass equivalent of Frank Spencer! Another string to its bow (excuse the pun!) is that it has atomic volume (and yes I do know that I can turn it down!) that sets the front end of my amp peaking away once set nicely for the "Old faithful II". I just can't wait to get my 5 string stuff out of the way and get the "slippers" back on, if you know what I mean. I think that I could possibly live with Brian or Frank to some extent if only I could some how tweak its gain internally - if any one in Status technoland knows if that is at all possible? If not, then sadly as much as I love the look of the handsome beast I'm seriously considering a change..perhaps a Series II 5'er (hint, hint if anybody fancies a swapsy)?