Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: S2 string length issue

Posted by Morphgarth on 16-05-2016 20:21

Hi, I've just bought a fabulous 2010 S2 headless 5 string go complement my new CW signature. It came, second hand, with half rounds on it. I prefer rounds. However Status are currently out of stock on Hot Wire double balls. I bought a set of Rotosound long scale double balls but they are literally around 3-4mm too short. There is just no way to fit them. Can anyone say definitively what brand will fit until such time as Rob gets more stock in? Many thanks. Paul

Posted by Sonic Groove on 16-05-2016 21:03

Hi Paul Can you not use regular single ball strings secured by the allen bolts at the end of the head-stock? I thought all Status headless basses had this facility? Strings Direct do Elites in DB and state "for Steinberger type basses" so not sure of the length Interesting to note Roto's don't fit though I will be sure not to order any!!! Brendan

Posted by Morphgarth on 16-05-2016 21:05

Hi Brendan, guess I could. Won't look as damn sexy though!!!!

Edited by Morphgarth on 26-04-2024 21:43

Posted by Sonic Groove on 16-05-2016 21:09

???? You cut them at the Head -- They look the same. Just the inconvenience of locking allen bolts & cutting strings that makes DB's more convenient (When Available!!!) B

Posted by Morphgarth on 17-05-2016 02:01

I know Brendan. I was being flippant!!! Lol.

Posted by gazhowe on 22-05-2016 18:40

Sonic Groove wrote: Strings Direct do Elites in DB and state "for Steinberger type basses" so not sure of the length
I've just put a set of Elites DB on my S2 Classic 4 string so I would assume that a 5 string set of these would fit on a Status 5'er. Regards Gaz

Posted by Sonic Groove on 22-05-2016 21:14

gazhowe wrote:

Sonic Groove wrote: Strings Direct do Elites in DB and state "for Steinberger type basses" so not sure of the length
I've just put a set of Elites DB on my S2 Classic 4 string so I would assume that a 5 string set of these would fit on a Status 5'er. Regards Gaz
Hi Gaz Thanks for the info. Did you use Hotwires before? If so how do they compare? Thanks Brendan

Posted by gazhowe on 25-05-2016 23:38

Hi Brendan I've always used 40-100 gauge double ball Hotwires on my Status basses (Elixirs on others). I only bought the Elites due to the Hotwires being temporarily unavailable. My initial impressions are that Elites feel fine but don't sound as bright as the Hotwires. I'd have no hesitation in buying them again but will almost certainly return to using Hotwires as soon as my preferred type are available again. Regards Gaz

Edited by gazhowe on 26-04-2024 21:43